best 6.5 prefit barrel for savage LA

loaders_loft

POLL!! POST YOUR VOTE!!

Who makes the finest 6.5 cal SS pre-fit barrel for a savage long action?

Although I'm still undecided on the actual cartridge, I'm looking for a light weight, high performance 6.5 cal pre-fit SS barrel that I can screw onto my savage SS long action.

What company makes the best??

My Savage 112 started life as a 22-250. I had Fred Mareno at Sharpshooter Supply in Ohio chamber a Douglas 28" pre-fit barrel and I shot it in competition until it began to open up at 1200 rounds. This barrel shot great and won many matches. I decided to replace it with a PacNor pre-fit, with same twist, length and dimensions. This barrel shoots terrible. Returned it to PacNor, they said nothing wrong with it (BS) and now it sits here with 200 rounds down the pipe.

Go to Fred; he is a good gunsmith and works exclusively on Savage rifles.

LA Savage in a 6.5 ? 6.5/06 w/8 twist......
Fred @ SSS in Ohio is good...but very busy...check on his turn around time..
I use Pac Nor bbl's and have never had a problem with their bbl's...my current 6.5 is a SA 260 Improved 8 twist......I use Savage s/shot actions & set them up myself....very easy with the right tools..

Asking that is like asking which of your kids looks best...
Pac-Nor and Lothar Walther both are premium tubes and as stated the Douglas and Shilen tubes offered by others are fine if the chambering work is done correctly as Fred does.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.