Best 243 load for coyote

akksolo

Ill be hunting with an encore prohunter with a 15 in barrel chamberd in 243 win, wondering what would be the best hand load, and factory load, i do not want alot of pelt dammage. any help would be great thanks...

Cold Trigger Finger

My fall back would be the 80 gr Hornady fmj or the 90 gr Sierra fmjbt. Small hole in, small hole out. . But I've never used the light weight varmint bullets. The 80 grain TSX.would also be a bullet I would try.

danj

I've shot coyotes with every weight bullet for the 243.( 60 gr to 100 gr) All of them do pelt damage. It isn't fur freindly! If you fur hunt I would look at a 223 or a 204.In AZ we arn't allowed FMJ bullets for hunting.

Cold Trigger Finger

There are only so many questions that can be asked. And the info is relevant and current. .
I've seen too many pics of coyotes with their guts blown out to recommend some of the bullets advocated. But, and this is important. I'm after the hides and the fmjs have worked well for me. I don't mind one running off as from the reports plenty of guys get runners even with the fast expanding bullets.
But if someone has good success with the load they are using. Great I hope they keep using it.
At least with solids I have a good chance of making it thru the shoulder of a 140 lb wolf that's running at 100 yards. Tho for just wolf I would probably shoot a 100 gr soft point in the 243 .

Rupe

Suppose I could ask this same question using a new thread, but that would take up more space on the site.
Sooooo I will asked this question again with a little change to it. What is a good load using IMR 8208 XBP for the .243 win. and I don't care about pelt damage. but I do care about range 500 yds. and under out of a Striker with a 15" barrel and no break, sbooting from a bipod and flat shooting, wind drift etc etc etc.

IMR 8208 XBR is all the gun shop had left because of all the hording going on.
Thank you in advance
Rupe

Rupe

Yes I have but that doesn't tell me what guys have been getting out of it in real world loading and shooting. I have never used it and was wondering if it is almost as good as Varget or another.
Also I am looking for info. concerning using it. What works what doesn't work so good. etc etc.kust the normal newbie long range shooting questions without starting another thread.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce