Berger supporters, Vocal Minority with Something to Gain, or Legit?

I really want to shoot the 215 Hybrid, despite witnessing poor performance with the VLD with my own eyes. So I started really using the Google and reading real world reports here there and everywhere. The one thing that I realized, there is a very vocal group of people who are members of every single forum on the internets. There are like 3-4 people who are members of every shooting forum that ever was and post on all of them day in and day out. Don't you people have something better to do? Anyway, when you really weed through the "amazing" reports from the vocal minority, you find a lot of more joe average type guys who don't have the best things to say but seem to get drowned out or shouted down by a couple people who allegedly have killed ten thousand game animals without a failure.

Is it all guerrilla marketing?

While results speak for them self, one should visit the Berger Factory and do the tour.
Close attention should paid to the quality control procedures and manufacturing. Some of these may change. I have!

The Berger and Ballistic tip have nothing in common from how they initiate expansion, jacket thickness in the nose, shank and boat tail, nothing even remotely the same!!!

Seen a crap ton of elk shot through the shoulder with a plethora of bullets, I have yet to see a Berger not make it through. I've tried even, shot a cow elk at a stupid steep angle inside 300 with a 140 Berger, hit her dead center if the heaviest knuckle, she cart wheeled down hill to the truck dead, found the bullet in the hide half way up her neck, the front of her lungs and all the blood vessels going out her throat were hamburger. Watched a bull take a 300 gr through both shoulders, can't count how many 168's I've found under the hide after going through the shoulder, 165 matrix has cleaned the shoulder on many a bull, I hate shoulder shooting elk but that's 99% from bonded or mono bullets!!

I am a fan of the Bergers as well. I am currently using the 170 gr. 270 cal Hybrid Elite Hunter as well as the 230 gr. 30 Cal Hybrid Target. I've also used the 30 cal 215's and 185's in my 300 RUM. Many of my friends have switched to Bergers for hunting as well. I've used all those bullets on elk, antelope and mule deer. All the animals died quickly. Never lost the animal. The pictures and accounts of bullet fragments are consistent with my experience but the animals all died just as fast as when I used to use Nosler bullets (those are good bullets too). I understand the marketing appeal of a bullet staying together but dead is dead.

Funny now guys are saying to stay OFF the shoulder and aim like a bow Hunter would with Berger's...but in the beginning when we started shooting them (back when they only came in yellow boxes) it was the norm to aim FOR bone, specifically a high shoulder shot.

And for all the TV show haters... y'all can thank John Burns, Jack Peterson and the Best of the West crew for bringing Berger's to hunters.

Funny now guys are saying to stay OFF the shoulder and aim like a bow Hunter would with Berger's...but in the beginning when we started shooting them (back when they only came in yellow boxes) it was the norm to aim FOR bone, specifically a high shoulder shot.

And for all the TV show haters... y'all can thank John Burns, Jack Peterson and the Best of the West crew for bringing Berger's to hunters.
U know what they can not!!!! Run off on two legs take them front ones out........

You must not read? The post I was referring to CLEARLY stated a Buck Deer at 50 yards! NO WHERE did it say anything about a Moose no where! Perhaps you might want to read twice and post once? Or go back to school?
And yes around here deer are killed all the time with .22's like it or not!
And as far as the 870 you bet 50 yards a 12 Ga.13/8 ounce slug I would shoot a Moose with it any time!

Last edited:
I think what happens a lot, is there are people who get to hunt all over the country or on ranches and are guide's that kill or whiteness lots of kills every year. The 215 kills. I have killed animals with them and no problems. I think there are WAY more people who get into long range hunting and don't practice enough or at all and take shots they shouldn't. They get a rifle that shoots 1/2"'at 100 yards and then think they can kill an animal at 1k. There are lots of bad long range shots taken. The more I shoot 1 k on paper the more I realize how much can change so fast. So you hear about how Bergers don't work because people try and shoot the shoulder. Or make bad long range shots. You do not want to shoulder punch an elk or deer with a vld. I am a bow hunter before I got into shooting. I always go for double lung. Only other bullet I would try is a LRAB. I personally have not had any issues with Bergers. Hybrids hold together better than VLD'S (thicker jacket). They can have clogged tips from polishing compound. So that needs to be checked.
You hit it right on the primer !! To many hunters don't know or refuse to admit their limitations.

Over the last few years of being a member on this site, I have seen and got wrapped up in a lot of different topics in regards to what is best. From barrels, to actions, to bullets, brass, etc. At some point I had to take a step back and start making my own decisions on what was best for me and my hunting/shooting situations. In regards to bullets, I use a mix of Berger, Hornady, Nosler, and Hammer. I let the rifle tell me what it likes best and then understand the limitations of that particular bullet. Berger and Hammers have been by far the easiest for me to get excellent accuracy from most rifles. I have had very good on game performance from Berger so far. This being said, I only have a limited number of kills with them to make a true judgement. And up to this point I have not had the opportunity to use Hammers on game, hopefully soon.

I guess my point is, everyone hunts differently so use what works for you and don't bash other peoples experiences.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts