Berger seating depth(jump test

jaybic

Has anyone tried the Berger seating depth test with bullets other than Berger?

I have done Eric Steckers test using 155vlds in my .308 and the results were profound and I would like to know if that thought process(test) could be applied to other types/manufacturers of bullets.

I am trying to work up a load for my .243ai w/87 gr vmax and just wondering if anyone had tried this to help locate a seating depth quickly....

Thanks and have a good day!!

Jamie

yes. The Berger seating depth test is a standard part of my loading development process for any bullet. It is sometimes less dramatic with non-VLD's, but still useful. Moreover, once the optimum seating depth for a given bullet is found, it remains the same regardless of changes in powder, primer, etc.

I found that Berger's increments for finding the sweet spot were way too big. In my experience, the sweet spot is less than 0.015" wide not 0.04" I've seen significant differences in groupings with even 0.01" differences. Thus, I use tighter spreads on my seating depth tests for VLDs. I've tried them on many bullet designs and the less VLD like the tips are, i.e. more round nose, the less seating depths seem to matter; sweet spot is larger.

Yes . I usually do this in .010 jumps then fine tune from there. You'd be amazed at the possible grouping difference on some rifles.

Wouldn't it be nice to understand what seating depth is doing in there?
I've racked my brain on this for many years, and every notion I've followed fails tests.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.