Berger Hog #6, 130 lb Pregnant Sow, DDRT

Double Naught Spy

I put together two videos. The first video is the hunting video. The second video includes very little about the hunt, but has all the terminal ballistics.

On this hog, the 6.5 Berger VLD-Hunting performed extremely well for putting down the hog, complete with going through fairly heavy bone, overpenetration, and extensive tissue damage. The heavy bone was the thick part of the scapula which isn't the heaviest bone by any stretch, but is much more substantial than just the ribs I have punched through previously.

[ame]https://youtu.be/2Bh6cKCJPio[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/e980ENs9fcc[/ame]

My 6.5 Grendel is an Alexander Arms upper on a LMT lower. The ammo I purchased from Precision Firearms. They have a bunch of offerings for 6.5 Grendel.
6.5 Grendel Ammo

DNS,

I've got just enough space in my gun safe for another rifle. I've been looking at 6.5 ARs over the past few days. The ballistics look very promising.

Why did you go with the 6.5 over the multitude of other calibers offered? I shoot primarily .308, but I'm intrigued by the lower recoil and equal performance of the 6.5 out to 400ish yards. My farthest shot would be around 250 yards here in SC, so my fondness of the .308 might be changing.

I was hunting with 308, but had abdominal surgery and needed less recoil for a while. I went with the Grendel over 6.8 spc mainly due to the higher BC and sectional density, the latter meaning better penetration potential. In retrospect, the differences are a wash. Both do very well on hogs and similar game. For me, 6.8 might has been a better purchase because there are more commercial options and I don't hunt beyond 400 yards. However, I really like the Grendel. I think that on hogs, it kills as well as my .308.

If I was hunting elk or bear, it would not be my first choice, though folks hunt both with the Grendel.

We don't have any elk around here, and I think bears are cute and wouldn't hunt them, so I'm good there.

Having a 13 month old girl doesn't allow me much hunting time, so I've been reading about guns, ballistics, etc. I'm impressed with the 6.8 and ordered an upper on Wednesday from Alexander Arms. I've got an ATN Thor on a DPMS .308 that I'll transfer over to the 6.8.

I'm hopeful that I can get back on the hogs quicker with the 6.8 as opposed to the .308. Around here, I don't have access to wide open spaces, so I have to shoot as quickly as I can before the hogs head for the woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.