3rd Hog with 130 gr. Berger VLD-Hunting Bullets

Double Naught Spy

[ame]https://youtu.be/PB2BWJmFnYc[/ame]

They were definitely on their A-game coming in, being cautious. When the duo got to the trail where I had been only an hour before (examining hog prints left the previous night or that morning), the first hog noticeably reacted. At that point, I decided not to wait to see if more hogs would show up.

The second hog ran just about as fast as any hog I have seen, LOL.

Nice video DNS!

Their sense of smell is amazing! If they can smell your scent from you passing by a spot an hour earlier, how long do you think DJ's scent lingers? A week?

funny you should mention that. i was just gonna say that hogs walk right behind me many times and never seem to be bothered by my scent.
confused2_zpsgael4k1b.gif

I have had several deer hunters and hog hunters tell me that they have watched said animals stop at a point where the hunters had crossed the ground. The question is, really, what is it that the animals are smelling and what are they actually reacting to?

We know that dogs (and I assume, hogs) can smell trails even a couple of days later. The question is how many other things have been there? What are they smelling.

So the hog stopped, smelled where I had been standing. I was standing where a LARGE hog had passed in the last 16 hours or so. The reason I was standing there was looking at the big tracks. The tracks came after a brief shower, hence I have some idea on the timing of when the animal was there.

All I know is that multiple animals were on that spot and this hog came in and reacted to that spot. I have no idea if it was reacting to me or the hog or something else. That big hog came down the same trail the duo came down while they were being all sketchy. Maybe they didn't want to run into the other, larger boar?

Like djones, I have had hogs cross my trails lots of times, especially when I have gone out and put more corn on my way to the stand, and then I shoot the hogs at the corn I just put out, LOL. I have had a deer follow me in on a trail and walk by the tree stand I was in not 5 minutes after I was in the stand and the deer never seemed to notice me. Or, maybe she noticed me and just didn't care?

Using the transitive theory: (if a=b, and b=c, the c must equal a)

If hogs don't mind the smell of other hogs, and
Hogs don't mind the smell of DJ,
Then DJ must be a hog!

So sayeth the theory.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.