Belted magnum reloading.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by zr600, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I’m not new to reloading but new to reloading belted mags. How and were and with what do I measure on my fired brass for sizing and how to properly setup my die. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Almost wishing I would have just spent the extra money on one of Riches cartridges and would t have the headache of the belt. If it matters I’m currently using the hornady standard sizing die and ADG brass.

2. crystalgayleguy

crystalgayleguy Previously Glenn J Voth

what magnum caliber . is really no difference than none belted calibers at least to me it isn't

3. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Jeez. There is no issue with belted magnums if you know how to size them properly...
    FL size them and bump shoulders back .002" just like any other round. But then again, I have only loaded a few 10 thousand rounds of them.

Although, the Sherman line sure are awesome. I have two, with a third that should be done next week.

ENGUNEER, FEENIX, Gregg C and 4 others like this.
  4. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

You full length resize your brass to fit your chamber , a little bit at a time till it fits , then you trim your brass , have reloading books ? There's step by step in them. And many dies come with GREAT instructions !!!

Bill Cauley Jr and Glenn J Voth like this.
  5. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

It’s a 7remmag. I have the Berger book and the Lyman book. The instructions on the die don’t talk anything about the belt. So should it just back the die out till I’m not pushing shoulders back, because even my fired brass will still chamber fine. Also have a Nosler book.

jjmp likes this.
  6. lancetkenyon

Bump. The. Shoulder. Back. .002". Just. Like. Any. Other. Cartridge......

LaHunter, ENGUNEER, FEENIX and 4 others like this.
  7. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

Yes, it usually takes several firings to get brass fully formed to your chamber, so it's a good idea not to bump .002" until the resized case won't chamber. Then you can bump shoulder back 1 1/2 to .002".

ericbc7, Gord0 and cape cove like this.
  8. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

Sent you a pm

9. Coyote99

Coyote99 Member

Do you lube your cases with a generous application of condescension, or do you use some over the counter product?

Andrew Massi likes this.
  10. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

Have been using hornady one shot.

11. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Go over to accurateshooter and get some hobo oil it's better than anything I've ever tried and I've tried just about everything out there.

12. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

As far as bumping shoulders I agree with Lance, get the correct bump comparator
    Instead of guessing excessive shoulder bump leads to case head separation.

J E Custom, jjmp and 19 Badger like this.
  13. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

Condescension = An attitude of patronizing superiority, distain. Not a very nice reply, really pretty snarky!

14. lancetkenyon

Doesn't usually take a generous amount. Most of the time, the first small application is enough for most to get the point. But when the same results are seen even after the first application....sometimes it does take more than a drop. Usually, USUALLY, the second shot gets the results if the first time doesn't do the trick.

Andrew Massi, Asco6, reeldawg and 3 others like this.