Bell and Carlson recoil pad

Bigeclipse

All,
I need to shorten the length of pull by about .5-1inches on my bell and Carlson stock. I want to simply get a new super slim recoil pad. The current one I have is just over 1 inch thick. My gun is heavy and I do not need such a thick recoil pad. Any ideas of where I can get a thin recoil pad which will fit the bell and Carlson stock? It is their simple classic fiberglass stock with aluminum bedding block. Also, any tips and tricks on how to remove the old one? Thanks.

Anyone? Just trying to find a slim recoil pad maybe half inch thick or less that will fit a B AND C stock.

Pachmyer I believe used to make some thin pads that can be custom fit by a gunsmith with a grinder or belt sander. Not a project you want to attempt yourself unless you're handy with tools and finishing work.

Pachmyer I believe used to make some thin pads that can be custom fit by a gunsmith with a grinder or belt sander. Not a project you want to attempt yourself unless you're handy with tools and finishing work.

Dang. The reason I wanted to shorten the pad was because I need to get my eye about .5 inches closer for good eye relief. The rifle fits me great but I did not account for thick clothing layers. When I wear all my hunting layers the eye relief is marginal at best. I have to phslysically push the rifle into my shoulder to be able to see. The scope is as far back as possible right now. First step was to try a skinnier pad. Since that didn't work it looks like I will need a scope with longer eye relief.

It is as far back in the rings as it can be
What kind of ring mounts have you got? Rail? One piece? Two piece?

Ok, you made me look.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/DP200.php

I can't imagine not pulling a rifle into my shoulder tight before firing other than perhaps my rimfires, AR's, .204 and .220 Swifts.

If you get any closer without pulling it in tight you're liable to end up with a lot of scope bites.

What kind of ring mounts have you got? Rail? One piece? Two piece?

Ok, you made me look.

Pachmayr&reg Pachmayr your primary source for quality handgun grips and recoil pads

I can't imagine not pulling a rifle into my shoulder tight before firing other than perhaps my rimfires, AR's, .204 and .220 Swifts.

If you get any closer without pulling it in tight you're liable to end up with a lot of scope bites.
I get what you are saying but that is not what I mean. I shoot a lot but this is the first year I'm hunting in temps well below zero which has me now wearing gear like a few inches thick. This extra fluff is pushing my rifles further away from my eye than normal.

I get what you are saying but that is not what I mean. I shoot a lot but this is the first year I'm hunting in temps well below zero which has me now wearing gear like a few inches thick. This extra fluff is pushing my rifles further away from my eye than normal.
Ahh, with that much padding you'll never notice the recoil anyhow.

Do you by chance have a local saddlery or boot/shoe repair place or a gunsmith that can put on one of those thin pads for you?

What you really need is a short term solution rather than an overhaul.

In your shoes I might even just go down to the tire shop and get a used innertube, remove your existing pad and just glue on a thin strip of rubber for traction that you can easily remove in the future when you aren't hunting in arctic conditions.

I've actually got a nice old Fajen on a NOS Fajen laminate I'm working over that I'll eventually put a decellerator on. If I thought it would fit you I'd offer to send it because I really have no need of it in the future.

Those thin Pachmayers should work for you and if you are at all handy they aren't difficult to install. If not any gunsmith can do it for you in pretty short order.

One of the secret shortcuts is to feeze it hard before grinding. Makes them come out smooth and grind easily.

To remove the pad, take out screws and put stock in the freezer overnight. In the morning, take a sharp chisel and tap with a hammer around the seem between the stock and pad. You'll see it start to crack and slowly work you way around until it pops off.
If you have access to a belt or bench mount disc sander, it is not too hard to replace it yourself. There are some tips you can use at the end to give it a nice finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts