HS vs. Bell and Carlson

FBI sniper at Ruby Ridge, Idaho who shot Randy Weavers wife in the head, & was also at Waco Texas, for the David Koresh compound incident.
Ok, so I'm not too fond of the way things were handled at either place.
What's his tie with HS Precision?
My Google function is played out today.

If the sniper who was at these two events was using a Bell and Carlson thumb hole stock I would be surprised, but then again the government uses the cheaper bid more often then not. So....imagine the shot he would have made with the HS.
The Thread starter asked about the HS and Bell and Carlson so I did not mention anything else. I do think the MPI stocks look good But for now Manners gets my money for the Winchester Thumb hole stock gig.

Newer B&C stocks especially the medalist are alot nicer than the stocks they use to put out. I have a A5 medalist on a 338 edge and it is a excellent stock. I have had alot of HS stocks.

Newer B&C stocks especially the medalist are alot nicer than the stocks they use to put out. I have a A5 medalist on a 338 edge and it is a excellent stock. I have had alot of HS stocks.

Agreed. I have a few rifle wrapped in medalist stocks, and I'm impressed with the quality. I have had to do some minor modications to some to enhance the fit since they are a mass produced stock made to fit individual rifles. Overall, it's probably the best kevlar composite value out there with full aluminum bedding. I agree with the saying "you get what you pay for." In this instance, you definitely get what you pay for and then some.

Ask around some of the custom builders out there using B&C stocks. Greybull, GAP, among others. It's a viable option for accuracy that can save you some cash to put in to more important things, like optics.

A few years back I bought a Savage 10FP in 308, the stock it came with was garbage and the rifle shot about 4.5 MOA. I went throught Bells and Carlson for a Medalist stock that cost me a reasonable $250. First thing I noticed is that the stock did not fit the rifle properly. The 10FP has three screw in points in the receiver, the stock only had two, and the trigger guard did not fit on the stock. And yes I did verify that the stock was for my rifle and not another. After I took it to a gunsmith for some fitting that rifle shot excellent! I was dissapointed in the flaws in the stock, but it did not take long to correct them. And for that price, I could not really complain anyway. That is just my singe experience with Bells and Carlson, im sure they make a good product.

I have had both and in my experience the inletting on the b&c looks better. A couple of my HS stocks had really been chipped away inside and the inletting looked very sloppy. Both are great stocks and worked great. For the money I would take the B&C but if Im going to spend more I would jump up to Manners/Mcmillan class stocks. Just my .02

I put a B&C Tactical Medalist on my .308 ....... it's the best stock i've ever owned or shot hands down. And, I only spent 200 bucks for it. I can't see spending the extra money for a Mcmillan or a Manners. Just aint worth the extra money.

It has been a few years since a friend and I both bought B&C so my info may well be dated, but I have owned 1 B&C and I currently own a McMillan... Flat out Fact is that there is ZERO comparison between the two!!!! McMillan absolutely kicks the B&C's *** Hands Down! Not my opinion, pure fact! You want "**** Good the First Time" get McMillan, or Manners etc... You want the chance of an "Excuse" buy B&C ... Perhaps these days B&C's best is really good, but for not a whole lot more money I will take straight up no B.S. peace of mind and go with **** GOOD!

If I want a Potential Excuse, AND a project I will order a stock from Richards Microfit, who makes several nice stocks in wood that are about 95% or so pre-fits that For Sure need final fitting but once done they are nice and they are nice Wood! I have a couple of their stocks, and it took me a good while to fit and finish them, but they work real nice.

Sorry to bag on B&C, and I am Sure I will be taken to task but I refuse to ******** anyone about my experience with B&C. Plastic / Fibre / Carbon etc are souless, cold tools that can do a fantastic job IF made properly. Do I love them? NO. But my McMillan A5 has been fantastic from day 1 and I Have never felt that it was holding me back in anyway shape or form. However, there are many days I feel more like nice warm wood that has both soul and character, and is "warm" to the touch. If I feel I need Solid as A Rock, and without Soul or Character, then I absolutely grab my McMillan A5 @ 5lbs fill. Period. Me and that McMillan have been places and done many cool things, it is a tool that absolutely Always Works No Matter What, When, Where, or Why. No excuses, ever, it just gets it done day in and day out. I am not a fanboi, I am an end user who is old enough that excuses are B.S., either go for it or stay home. Why waste good energy on bad gear? Seriously?

All that being said, I have been staring awful hard at the Manners MCS-TA and T. The TA is adjustable cheek piece, the T is fixed. I would likely prefer the T personally, but have went back and forth on the TA :) They make some NICE stocks! But, you will pay, and you will wait...

Choices and Decisions...
Gary

I would love a manners mcs-t5a or the mcs-gat but Im looking $1k in the face. Im having a hard time selling the Mrs. on $500!

I may just sell a rifle to fund the stock part of the build. or get a B+C for the rifle I have now and buy a Manners for a full custom... ohh right, the budget. dangit.

I've also been looking hard at the new McMillan Thumbhole tactical, but it looks a little heavy for my likeing.

It has been a few years since a friend and I both bought B&C so my info may well be dated, but I have owned 1 B&C and I currently own a McMillan... Flat out Fact is that there is ZERO comparison between the two!!!! McMillan absolutely kicks the B&C's *** Hands Down! Not my opinion, pure fact! You want "**** Good the First Time" get McMillan, or Manners etc... You want the chance of an "Excuse" buy B&C ... Perhaps these days B&C's best is really good, but for not a whole lot more money I will take straight up no B.S. peace of mind and go with **** GOOD!

If I want a Potential Excuse, AND a project I will order a stock from Richards Microfit, who makes several nice stocks in wood that are about 95% or so pre-fits that For Sure need final fitting but once done they are nice and they are nice Wood! I have a couple of their stocks, and it took me a good while to fit and finish them, but they work real nice.

Sorry to bag on B&C, and I am Sure I will be taken to task but I refuse to ******** anyone about my experience with B&C. Plastic / Fibre / Carbon etc are souless, cold tools that can do a fantastic job IF made properly. Do I love them? NO. But my McMillan A5 has been fantastic from day 1 and I Have never felt that it was holding me back in anyway shape or form. However, there are many days I feel more like nice warm wood that has both soul and character, and is "warm" to the touch. If I feel I need Solid as A Rock, and without Soul or Character, then I absolutely grab my McMillan A5 @ 5lbs fill. Period. Me and that McMillan have been places and done many cool things, it is a tool that absolutely Always Works No Matter What, When, Where, or Why. No excuses, ever, it just gets it done day in and day out. I am not a fanboi, I am an end user who is old enough that excuses are B.S., either go for it or stay home. Why waste good energy on bad gear? Seriously?

All that being said, I have been staring awful hard at the Manners MCS-TA and T. The TA is adjustable cheek piece, the T is fixed. I would likely prefer the T personally, but have went back and forth on the TA :) They make some NICE stocks! But, you will pay, and you will wait...

Choices and Decisions...
Gary

Can't fault you on your opinion, the Mcmillan and Manners are a superior product for sure. If you're willing to pay at least 50% more money and wait 4-5 months for your stock, then by all means this is the way to go.

If you want a good, solid stock that is available now, and you can live with the available options, and are up to doing a little work to do some minor inletting and bedding the B&C is a great option.

There are lots of considerations. I've done the wait for McMillan, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. They really are a fabulous custom stock. I also have a Manner's MCS-T coming next week after ordering 4 months ago. I have a 5r in with a factory HS and It works great as well. Overall, it comes down to priorities and how you want to spend your money. They all work for me.

I ordered a PST036 direct from HS Precision in February, who indicated I would have it in June! They stated they do not keep stocks in stock, they build to order. That's what I was told anyway! I don't mind the wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.