Bedding Question on Magpul Hunter Stock

OnCall605

I just purchased a Magpul Hunter Stock for Remington 700 LA. The recoil lug area on the stock is very generous and I'm getting some pretty inconsistent groups. I'm wondering if that is the cause. Has anyone on here bedded one of these stocks and if so did you do a full bedding job or just around the recoil lug area? This is a project gun for me and I'm new to bedding so would take any advice I can get, especially since this one has the v block.

I just bedded the lug with jb weld.
You are at the mercy of Remington and their stamped recoil lugs and barrels.
Bedding the lug will help if it's not perfectly straight. A bent or not clocked properly lug will not let the lug strike the lug recess evenly. When that happens it can shift groups or give you a flier because the action will shift to one side. I don't see a need to try and bed the entire action in that particular stock.
A Remington action responds well to bedding and aftermarket lugs because of this.

The prep is the most important thing. I use masking tape where there could be a little bit of the material to ooze out.i use black electric tape on the barrel for the free float thickness. MAKE sure you USE PLENTY Of RELEASE AGENT

I switched out stock lug to Remington Holland .250 thickness lug on a Remage barrel build which helped a lot sucking up the space. So far, rifle shooting well so have not seen need to bed this lug. Check your torque, its a full bedding block so it is more than expected. I believe 55-65inlb is needed for synthetic with bedding block. Stock torque critical for consistency.

Last edited:
Thar old of a rifle probably has long rifling....shoot lighter weight bullets...??

I switched out stock lug to Remington Holland .250 thickness lug on a Remage barrel build which helped a lot sucking up the space. So far, rifle shooting well so have not seen need to bed this lug. Check your torque, its a full bedding block so it is more than expected. I believe 55-65inlb is needed for synthetic with bedding block. Stock torque critical for consistency.
I played around with the torque from 45 to 65 in/lb and didn't see any major difference so my next thought was that void in the recoil lug area. Just a total guess at this point though.

I just bedded the lug with jb weld.
You are at the mercy of Remington and their stamped recoil lugs and barrels.
Bedding the lug will help if it's not perfectly straight. A bent or not clocked properly lug will not let the lug strike the lug recess evenly. When that happens it can shift groups or give you a flier because the action will shift to one side. I don't see a need to try and bed the entire action in that particular stock.
A Remington action responds well to bedding and aftermarket lugs because of this.
Do you have any pictures of this at all by chance? Just curious as to where exactly I should bed and where I shouldn't. Forgive me....I'm a rookie.

I used an after market PTG lug and there's very little if any bedding on the dynamic side of the lug. If I was going to use a factory lug I might remove some of the aluminum block in that area to create a a perfect bed for the lug.
When bedding just the lug don't worry about tape on the barrel or using clamps or rubber bands to make a stress free bed. If you try to just set the action and rubberband it or clamp it lightly, you'll actually creat stress on the action because you'll have bedding under the lug and when you tighten it down it'll put stress on the action. You just want the sides of the lug to be tighter. Just put lots of release agent on the action and barrel with a layer of tape around the outside of the lug if you desire. Then put the bedding in the lug area and screw the action down to the proper torque setting as if you were going to leave it. You're just bedding the lug for good clean contact not doing a stress free bed. You'll squish out all the unnecessary bedding compound so don't use too much, you and always add more if needed later just make sure to clean the release agent off and rough it up some and then add a little more. I could probably add more to make this look prettier but it serves its purpose. I'm probably going to sell this stock anyway so someone will probably remove the bedding and start over..
240546C0-683F-44C8-A6C3-5CF8F9FFBA31.jpeg

Last edited: