Magpul Hunter 700 Stock

WildRose

This is one of very few sites on the internet where I consistently find advertisments for products that are worth clicking.

Tonight I noticed the Magpul Hunter 700 ad and did so. Those of you who also have interest in tactical shooting and accessories know Magpul is one of the top producers of magazines and accessories particularly for AR platform rifles and has been for many years.

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-700-stock-remington-700-short-action

I chased down a half dozen reviews from people like Frank Galli over as the Hide and it appears this might be a great new product especially for guys looking to upgrade stocks on a budget.

Have any of you guys given this stock a ride yet? Results?

WildRose,

The PROMAG by Archangel suits me better because of the ergonomics of the grip and the cheek piece adjustability. Many will argue that the ability to accommodate both styles of bottom metal in the Magpul stock is a big plus but it isn't for me since I'm used to carrying rifles with DBM.

I used the same barreled action in both stocks just for a shooting trial which was a little more favorable to the PROMAG as far as group size was concerned. Since it wasn't a comprehensive or exhaustive test, most might assume that they are of equal ability. Neither was bedded for the testing.

Currently I carry it to competitions as a backup rifle or a loaner for someone who wants to try competition but didn't bring a rifle or ammunition. Chambered now for the 6.5 Creedmoor, it will perform admirably in the hands of someone who has some shooting experience. It is nearly indestructible which can be important on the run and gun competition ranges where concrete culverts, rope nets and inclement weather often take a toll on equipment.

In the end result though it will always be a matter of which one fits the shooter the best and feels most comfortable.

Regards.

WildRose,

The PROMAG by Archangel suits me better because of the ergonomics of the grip and the cheek piece adjustability. Many will argue that the ability to accommodate both styles of bottom metal in the Magpul stock is a big plus but it isn't for me since I'm used to carrying rifles with DBM.

I used the same barreled action in both stocks just for a shooting trial which was a little more favorable to the PROMAG as far as group size was concerned. Since it wasn't a comprehensive or exhaustive test, most might assume that they are of equal ability. Neither was bedded for the testing.

Currently I carry it to competitions as a backup rifle or a loaner for someone who wants to try competition but didn't bring a rifle or ammunition. Chambered now for the 6.5 Creedmoor, it will perform admirably in the hands of someone who has some shooting experience. It is nearly indestructible which can be important on the run and gun competition ranges where concrete culverts, rope nets and inclement weather often take a toll on equipment.

In the end result though it will always be a matter of which one fits the shooter the best and feels most comfortable.

Regards.
Yep, we're all built at least a little different and find different things to be comfortable.

I wouldn't be afraid to try either of them but I'd encourage anyone to find a way to snuggle up to any stock they are interested in before committing to buy.

One thing that really impressed me about McMillan is that they were more than happy to send me one of their samples to try before I committed to buying.

As far as these go, I was just impressed by the reviews and thought it might help some folks out who are looking to upgrade from the cheap factory stocks but are working on a limited budget.

I was also just curious if anyone here had tried them and what their experience was.

One of the biggest benefits to this site is the wealth of information and willingness to share it provides and the fact it's usually coming from people that actually do know what they are talking about.

I have to tag into this one. I too would like to hear some more about the stock. I get asked a LOT about upgrading stocks on a budget and until now, usually recommend saving vs buying an "economical" upgrade. With my experience with almost all things Magpul, I'd be hard pressed to not recommend this stock. However, I'd like to get some first hand experience from a trusted peer before solidly recommending it.

t

Hello Gents,

I'm new to the Long Range Hunting Forums in terms of posting, but I've been a lurker for some time. My name is Caylen Wojcik and I represent Magpul CORE, a sister company of Magpul Industries Corporation. I assisted with the design, development, and testing of the Hunter 700, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on it. Below is a link to a blog post on the Hunter 700, and its use in the competitive circuit. Hope you enjoy and I look forward to answering any questions you might have.

https://www.magpul.com/propaganda?itemId=News:160

Cheers,

I had a 700 hunter in stealth grey. I sold it however. I did like everything about it almost. The changeable LOP is awesome and high on my list for my current build. It is a rifle for my wife and a light weigh LR "scout" rifle for me. The adjustable comb is great too. I like higher combs and it is easy to remove for cleaning purposes. I like the inexpensive drop-able magazine and bottom metal. A great feature for around 60$. The biggest downside I could find, is weight. I am building a lighter weight rifle. If the stock was a pound or so lighter I would have kept it. I ended up order a Mcmillan edge for weight reasons. The only other downside was the for end seemed a little flimsy to me. I shoot primarily off a b-ipod, and the flex was less than perfect. For the money, I thought it was great. It didn't do everything I wanted but it did do about 90% of it. i just read that they will be offering a LA version soon.

Last edited:
Hello Gents,

I'm new to the Long Range Hunting Forums in terms of posting, but I've been a lurker for some time. My name is Caylen Wojcik and I represent Magpul CORE, a sister company of Magpul Industries Corporation. I assisted with the design, development, and testing of the Hunter 700, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on it. Below is a link to a blog post on the Hunter 700, and its use in the competitive circuit. Hope you enjoy and I look forward to answering any questions you might have.

Cheers,
Good article, thanks for chiming in.

Help me understand something, does the bedding block extent into the forearm of the stock?

If not, how are ya'll preventing flex in the stock from the recoil lug forward?

The problem I've run into tine and again with moderately priced stocks and every polymer stock I've ever seen is a lack of rigidity and unacceptable flex.

Aesthetically and ergonomically I see nothing not to like about it.

Are there any cutaway pictures of it available for public view?

Bolted one on my old Rem 700 260 REM last week. I was testing a few new things out last weekend. I just received a X5 3.5-18x50 in the mail from Swarovski and had loaded up some of the new ELD-Match bullets with H4831 and some RL23. This model of 700 was the BDL SS DM model with the 24" standard hunting barrel. I bought it in 2001 about 6 months before I left FT Bragg. I have had it Cerakoted black about six years ago. I have Leupold Q/R style of bases on this rifle. I can tell you that with a high comb like that, you will need "High" rings unless you have no cheek bones. The rings I was using were only mediums and the scope sat a little low. My local range only has targets from 50-300 yards. Once I noticed I had the wrong rings on this rig I decided to postpone some of the testing. I like the stock. Wish it had a palm swell, I have big hands, and why didn't they mold in a "Spare Mag" well in the rear underside of the stock? Looks like there is plenty of room. The scope is pretty amazing but I only got to spin up to 300yds but I could see each bullet hole 300yds away.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=6a058553b76c88fd3e2ce72151277342&oe=57C80076

Not sure if the image will work.

Hello Gents,

Cheers,
Any plans to make this stock for tikkas?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.