Bedding my Model 70

Clem Bronkoski

This is only the 2nd rifle I ever free floated the barrel AND bedded. The first was a Remington 700 which wasn't too bad. That rifle shot great. I had my gunsmith do a couple for me but he takes forever to get to it.
So I watched some videos by competent smiths on YouTube and got to it. This rifle was a custom Win 70 that I got for a song and I was a bit nervous. You may recall I posted a previous thread on this rifle not shooting very good. This even held true after I had free floated it. So I decided it was time to get it bedded.
I soon found out that the original bedding job (probably by Winchester custom shop) was terrible. The material they used for bedding was the same consistency as rubber! Not solid at all. It took me forever to remove all that junk. The recoil lug recess was the worse. After that I coated the action with Johnson's paste wax as a release agent, filled all the the nooks and crannies with plumbers putty (after removing the trigger assembly) and masked the stock with 2" masking tape. The bedding material I used was Devcon 10110. Expensive but good stuff. I also wrapped some masking tape around the barrel so I had a snug fit to the barrel channel to keep the barrel aligned with the stock. Then roughed up the wood a bit with a dremel tool where I wanted the epoxy.
Another even coating of release agent then mixed the epoxy per the directions. I only bedded the bolster where the tang screw went, a tiny drop on the tang area, the area where the action set around the front action screw, the recoil lug recess and about 3" in front of the recoil lug.
I set the action in the stock and tightened down the action screws then wrapped electrical tape around the stock/receiver really tight about 20 wraps. After 10 mins I backed off on the action screws then back in just until snug. Then again after 1 hr. Job came out nice.

Well I guess the verdict is out. For all the work I put into this rifle free floating the barrel, bedding the action, various bullets, powders and charges the best I could do was 1 MOA. Today I shot several loads of varying OALs and have determined that this rifle is an honest 1 - 1.25 MOA shooter. Will not be a long range rifle but will be a great rifle for hunting out to 300-400 yards for sure. I guess I'll keep it a couple years and then sell it off for a nice profit. (It's not every day you can pick up a Winchester Custom Shop rifle for $400!)

Well I guess the verdict is out. For all the work I put into this rifle free floating the barrel, bedding the action, various bullets, powders and charges the best I could do was 1 MOA. Today I shot several loads of varying OALs and have determined that this rifle is an honest 1 - 1.25 MOA shooter. Will not be a long range rifle but will be a great rifle for hunting out to 300-400 yards for sure. I guess I'll keep it a couple years and then sell it off for a nice profit. (It's not every day you can pick up a Winchester Custom Shop rifle for $400!)

Rebarrel it. The M70 is a good action, capable of fantastic things. Is it pre-64 style or push feed? What's it chambered in?

Rebarrel it. The M70 is a good action, capable of fantastic things. Is it pre-64 style or push feed? What's it chambered in?
I don't want to rebarrel it. It is a 270 WSM with controlled round feed. 1 to 1.25 MOA is nothing to sneeze at in a sporter. I'm still going to play with it a bit. I just know I can get it shooting better.
Just for giggles tonight I switched out the new Leupold that was on it and replaced it with a scope from another rifle that has proven itself. The Leupold could be bad. Stranger things have happened! I also loaded a half dozen rounds with IMR4350 as my base line, 6 with H4350, and 6 with MagPro.

Last edited:
I've read of some removing bedding in front of the lug in increments resulting in better accuracy. You state you bedded 3" in front of the lug so there's plenty to play with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.