Bedding a Tikka Action in a Mesa altitude

Trappernewt

Finally at a point I can assemble a couple rifles. I'm building a 6.5PRC off a Tikka action in a Mesa Altitude stock. Any tips for bedding since the recoil lug comes bedded in the stock?

My buddy does a pretty killer job bedding Tikka's and he does it in 2 steps by first setting the lug centered in the action with a drop of superglue and then a small bit of 5 minute epoxy in the bottom of the lug recess. Tighten the action screws, wait 5 minutes and then pop the action out (breaking the tiny bit of superglue) and leaving the lug set perfectly in the recess. Then skim beds the rest and fills the remaining area in the lug recess cut.

If you lug is already set good then you should be good to just skim bed it. It may not even really need it, the lug is the critical part but it also sure doesn't hurt anything.

I bedded my 260 Remington tikka in an altitude stock a couple years ago. Regardless of rifle or stock manufacturer, check for proper fitment before you commit to bedding. I had to send my altitude stock back for bottom metal inletting issues and more recently a McMillan for barrel channel and recoil lug inletting issues. Once you've got fitment checked it's pretty much the same series of events as any other action. You don't need to add any painters tape to the recoil lug like you'd see on a R700 style action. If I were to do it all over again, I'd remove the cheap lug that comes installed and set a higher quality lug, that said it shoots fine as is. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I bedded my 260 Remington tikka in an altitude stock a couple years ago. Regardless of rifle or stock manufacturer, check for proper fitment before you commit to bedding. I had to send my altitude stock back for bottom metal inletting issues and more recently a McMillan for barrel channel and recoil lug inletting issues. Once you've got fitment checked it's pretty much the same series of events as any other action. You don't need to add any painters tape to the recoil lug like you'd see on a R700 style action. If I were to do it all over again, I'd remove the cheap lug that comes installed and set a higher quality lug, that said it shoots fine as is. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
I agree that the lug is cheap. Problem is, it is not the same size as the stock lug. You'd have to have one cut to fit. But, I've been using the Mesa lug for a couple of years with no problem.

Rough up the areas you want the epoxy to adhere to and defiantly make sure they are degreased. Last thing you want is the bedding coming loose in the middle of a hunt.