Bedding a Parker Hale Mauser???

silvercreekguide

My dad just purchased a Parker Hale 30-06 at a pawn shop and he asked me to bed it for him. I have bedded many rem 700's and savages but never a Mauser. Should I just bed the recoil lug and first inch of the barrel, or should i bed the entire Action???

Thanks, Mike

I bed the entire action, pillar bed the screws, and the trigger guard at the bottom of each screw pillar.

All my mausers shoot 1/2" MOA with premium barrels, so something is working.

So pretty much just like a remington then. Than you very much for your reply, I was beginning to think I was not going to get any help with this! I don't suppose that you have any pictures just to get my mind wrapped around it?

Thanks, Mike

No, sorry I don't really have any photos of mine right off hand. The easiest way to go about it is to bed the entire area under the front ring back to the front of the mag box and however far on the barrel you want, then the rear tang area which ends up being not a whole lot of area, but with the pillar job will hold the tang area tight.

Same thing goes for the trigger guard.

You can do the entire action, but it is not needed, especially if it is a normal weight barrel. I figure while I'm there doing all the work, I might as well do the entire thing.

Found this post kinda late, did you bed the action yet? If not then be sure to inlet a recoil bar in the stock just behind the receiver recoil lug. I do this on all my mauser builds and the results are a rock solid base behind the receiver lug. This is hidden from view on the outside of the stock so you don't have an exposed pin showing on the stock.

Mike.. don't forget to tape off the edge of that fabulous stock,
and if you can do it, remove the trigger to keep it from getting any Bedding Compound on it.
if you can't tape it off with the utmost care..than lightly file around the trigger area so no compound can touch the trigger. also put some relese agent on the assembly screws. also add some tape just in front of the action so it stays off the barrel and add some paper in the channel to be sure the barrel floats.
One of my friends owns a Pawn Shop and he got a Parker Hale about 10 years ago and the stock was just plane beautyful. His was a .3006 and it is a real tack driver.

Just asking..what is the condition and price did he get it for? they were some of the sweetest rifles I have ever shot, I have missed out on a few, You can tell you father from me he bought one of the best rifles IMO ever made, surpassing a Weatherby. I bet the stock can suck your eyes out.

Yes the stock was why he bought it actually, and he wanted a 30-06. I believe he picked it up for maybe $300 but i am not to sure. The trigger was broken but i replaced it with a Timney. And I bedded it about a week ago, and it is putting 5 shots under 2 inches at 400 yards with the past ten groups. There is one in a shop near my house now... would you be interested????

I have a custom 03A3 Springfield I have been working on for the last two years the Barrel is a KRIEGER and we will be have her in the shop in two weeks.
I just orderd a BROUGHTON barrel for my .308 I use on the target range, I have another 7MAG
my plans are to do a Barrel change also with a heavy match Barrel and drop it into a M40A5 stock from McMillen. My old friend has made me a deal (a real good deal) Leupold mark4ER/T
6.5-20X50 to go on the 7MAG $1200 my big brother dropped the cash for this..we will be picking it up this week when he gets in from TEXAS. H27 PLEX he says its just to much information in a scope. But one of the guys we know has every bit of help he also has one and used one in IRAQ.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.