Bear country pistol

I don't live in griz territory only black bears around me. Usually they are more scared of humans and run away unless there are cubs nearby. Around here I only carry 45 acp with 13+1 underwood 255gr flat nosed hard cast bullets. If I go anywhere in griz territory I carry the same because it is what I have and also carry bear spray to hopefully keep some distance and give me a little more time. Maybe someday I'll go bigger if I get to griz territory more often.
Black bears are responsible for more predatory attacks on humans than brown bears are. And like other predators they won't stop if they've fixed on you as prey. Don't get complacent.

I think it was two years ago this spring a fellow was getting an early start fly fishing here in western MT and hiking along a creek, forgive me I forget where, and stumbled upon a grizz setting on its kill. Bear murdered him. That is the worse case scenario and the one to be prepared for. It happens fast unfortunately.

For backdrop, I did own an S&W 1076 10mm (Gen-u-wine FBI issue auto in a Bangor-Punta box labeled FBI ACADEMY) purchased via a local FBI agent when they are going away from the 10mm back in the 89/90 time frame.
Never shot it.

That said, I did handle one of these

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-xten-endure.html

on Saturday and IF I was to give up my John Linebaugh built .500 Linebaugh for a lesser gun in my woods-walking in NW Wyoming, it would be a strong contender for a new favorite.

When I coon-fingered it, the grip frame angle, and dimensions and the point-ability in relation to the sights IN MY HANDS gave me a feeling of confidence in using it under duress in close quarters. (I would add a Trijicon RMR or SRO). Just THIS model.

I haven't handled the other XTen models.

Surely a fellow can find some place on God's green earth where you can go fishing where there aren't ANY bears? If I have to pack a pistol or a shotgun or both to go fishing, lol I'm out... I fish a lot in the Caribbean, had more good days than bad days for sure! And I never saw a bear...
I have had some run ins with small flying bugs ...brutal...

On hunting or fishing trips in Alaska bear country I carry a standard frame Redhawk in .45 Colt with a 5 1/2 barrel. The beefy cylinder on that gun handles my handloads of 335gr. LBT hardcast at 1100 fps. Got a good Bianchi holster that I can wear strong side or in a cross draw. I grew up on wheel guns so shooting a revolver in double action only is something I do a lot.

My main gun in the outdoors is a G20, with Buffalo Bore hard cast in a Gunfighters Inc, Kenai chest holster.

I practice with it a fair bit, I also have a G17 and a G44 that fit that holster that allows me to do a ton load of work with it at the range as the ammo is a fair bit less expensive.

IMO, fights with bears are a one to 3 shot fight. No time for more than that in most all cases. My G20 is user friendly enough that I can recover quicker and get back on target much faster than I can with the bigger bore wheel guns.

Stopping a bear is about a CNS hit!

I've had 2 black bears get after me, both had been hit by a client so they had every right to be ****ed off. The first one came at me from 9', I shot it right under the chin with a 25/06, instant lights out. 2nd one, came at me from 15', I shot this one under the chin with my 22/250, again instant lights out.

My newest carry piece is a S&W 360 PD, sweet to carry as it weighs 11 oz's or something like that. I carry it in a "Yaqui" holster made my El Paso Saddlery. Easy to forget this one when it's riding on your belt, not so easy to forget it when you're shooting full power Buffalo Bore Hard Casts thru it..............it'll get your attention for darn sure.

These are the pieces I carry in G bear country which is pretty much any direction I go from town anymore...........

Surely a fellow can find some place on God's green earth where you can go fishing where there aren't ANY bears? If I have to pack a pistol or a shotgun or both to go fishing, lol I'm out... I fish a lot in the Caribbean, had more good days than bad days for sure! And I never saw a bear...
I have had some run ins with small flying bugs ...brutal...

A possible bear attack….is the only thing that makes fishing excting! 😉😂 memtb

I was in Alaska in the mid 70s. There were no brown bears around anchorage. Never saw one or heard another person say they saw any. A few black bear. Now they are in peoples yard and attacking moose in their driveway. Fatal bear attacks on walking trails around the city. I had to drive about an hour towards willow to start finding bears along the creeks. It's gotten crazy there.

A friend of mine (near Whittier, I think) shot from his porch and killed a Brown in his yard, quite a few years ago! Pretty decent bear…..considering he never left home to get it! 😜 memtb

Last edited:
Remember folks, the OP was asking in context of a fishing protection weapon. I would argue the same for bow hunting.

375 H&H or Ruger does't cut it here. Unless of course you have the coin to have your paid PH to carry something to protect you fishing in Griz country. But…that's another thread entirely and the PH will carry hat they want to carry, right?
Twelve gauge over your shoulder. Short barrel big bore handgun in chest holster. Hands are free to fish. My story was to show the reality of what will happen, and bears aren't impressed by semi auto hand guns. Bears have no concept of death, they will keep coming if that is their intent.

Since no pistol is a 'bear stopper' - all are puny compared to any rifle hunting cartridge - get the one you'd carry the most and shoot the most accurately and confidently. For most people this is a 10 mm semiauto. Unless you're already are revolver fan, I don't think the weight/recoil are worth it.

Bears have been stopped with a 9 mm pistol, but I wouldn't choose to go smaller than a 10 mm or 357 revolver myself. And, if I chose a revolver it would be a 44 or bigger. Just no advantage over a semiauto otherwise.

Projectile selection is probably just as important as cartridge selection…

I think it was two years ago this spring a fellow was getting an early start fly fishing here in western MT and hiking along a creek, forgive me I forget where, and stumbled upon a grizz setting on its kill. Bear murdered him. That is the worse case scenario and the one to be prepared for. It happens fast unfortunately.
Yes! Bears here in MT can and will eat you. At least one person every year gets maimed or worse while hunting, fishing, or camping. Bowhunters probably get it the worst here when they're trying to call in elk. Like I mentioned earlier, they get surprised and their temper usually gets the best of them, I mean you…sometimes it's their appetite that gets you instead.

I had a buddy not too long ago get chased by one while he was fishing in his drift boat. Fortunately, he was able to row away from it while it was swimming after him. It was on the Yellowstone River just outside the park.

I guide Elk & Deer hunts in Griz & Wolf country, carry a Glock 29 SF in 10mm with G9 Woodsman 145gr Solid Copper bullets moving 1450fps. Have yet to use them on an Apex Predator but feel very confident with them while training. Less recoil than the heavier options & the gun weighs less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 27