Beanburrito Nevada middle of no where USA

Depends on what shooting sport your interested in. They do have 1,000 yard bench rest shooting. I prefer tactical rifles for long range shooting . Our GIs in the middle east who are snipers don't use bench rest rifles in battle. They use tactical rifles and they have been know to make kill shots past 1,000 yards.

Geargrinder I'm to in Elko nv which is not to far away as the crow flys what do you mean by systemic upgrade ????

Swap factory stock for a higher quality stock or chassis.
Upgrade your optics including rings and mounts.
Upgrade your trigger, or have a quality trigger job done.
Have a new barrel spun on.

Do these in the order that your budget allows. Each of these things will likely made your shooting more accurate or at least more consistent.

Ok optics, that's the next serious question as with so many rifles, scopes are abundant which is one that is good for out to 1000-1500 yard shots ???

Holy smokes how much money do you have to spend ? Nightforce scope goes from $1500-3500 bucks. Its like your buying your first car do you want a Chevrolet or a Mercedes Benz ? I'm not a big fan of Savages but they do have a nice long range rifle in 260 Remington ,Tika makes a varmint rifle in 260 also I think I'd check them out first. Then a scope SWFA make a 3x15x50mm FFP scope for some where around $750 bucks. But Sightron makes very nice FFP scopes for under 1 K Weaver makes a very nice Tactical FFP scope . I have one I love it for around $800 bucks..... What is your budget for a rifle /scope combo, and will all post suggestions ?

Sorry for earlier post asking for info on scopes

F-Class Open Rifle, Beautiful and Ultra Accurate, .284[/QUOTE]

What does it mean by F-Class Open Rifle?
From the pictures that's a very nice looking gun! But it m not sure of some of the things he talks about. Like
BAT Model "M" Action, Multi-Flat, I did not see a mag does this mean it a single shot were csn I find more info on this type of gun. I feel so far out of my comfort zone

Beautiful and Ultra Accurate, .284

What does it mean by F-Class Open Rifle?
From the pictures that's a very nice looking gun! But it m not sure of some of the things he talks about. Like
BAT Model "M" Action, Multi-Flat, I did not see a mag does this mean it a single shot were csn I find more info on this type of gun. I feel so far out of my comfort zone

Beautiful and Ultra Accurate, .284[/QUOTE]

BAT is a custom action,this rifle is a high precision rifle meant for shooting in the prone position for I think 600 and 1000 yards. That's what "F-Class "open rifle means This rifle isn't a tactical or hunting rifle. The rifle/scope combo I'm directing to you fall in the tactical category. They could also be used as hunting rifles. For you starting out I wouldn't even think about more than 2k for a rifle/scope .

Well my son was in an accident he has shattered his right foot and the dr told him he will be out of work for 6-7months so of course the wife offers them my gun money. He promises to pay me back but that puts a cap in my plans to get a new gun. I look forward to chatting more with you all and continuing to learn from you

I know that the 223 tikka is not much for over 1000 yard shots but I shot one today and at 600 yards it was dead on we were at the range for 4 hrs shoting ranges from 100 to 600 yards I shot a savage 223 also and I learned one very important thing the scope makes all the difference in the world I could not even compete at 400 plus yards because on my 243 I have the Nikon BDC 3-9 and it did not cut it I was so disappointed in the scope. All three guns shot well and I was happy with the tikka I made my first long shot kill 277 yards on a Prairie dog. The guy only wants $400 for either the tikka or the savage I'm very tempted to get that 223 by tikka it was shooting very good even with a less performing scope than what the savage had on it. Any comments? Suggestions ? And another thought as I have seen today the AR-15 BENCH rifle is a tack driver this gut shot 5 times all in the same hole he got the gun on sale $800 said it was a $1300 dollar gun. Are those guns really that good now? And the scopes he had mad dialing in on the target do so easy. I'm really really sure that I don't want to waste money on a crappy scope so my question is we're can I learn what it is I'm looking at the operations of the scope what's important and what's junk. I'm one that knows how to zero one in but I've always had little scopes for up close so I've seen there's more to it and I need help to understand it all. Is there a way to post pics? I would like to show results of today's shooting?

I shot him in the chest I had the cross hair aimed at his head. It was an exciting moment for me as it was the furthest shot for a kill I've made to date. :D[/QUOTE
I meant where geographically ( Location ) did you find a Prairie dog to shoot ?

I'm in Nevada with lots of open space. The prairie dogs are small compared to the ones in Utah, Montana areas ares are 4-7 inches long maybe a tad longer but not much

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.