Base and rings for Montana X2 short action/left hand

wilydawg

Hey guys, I've been a member for sometime, but this is my first post.
Hate to ask for help vs. giving it for my first post but here goes :) :

I'm putting together a Montana X2 short action left hand in .300 WSM. I'll primarily use it for hunting purposes, but will bang steel occasionally as well.

I already have the scope I'll use, a Leupold VX-6 / 3-18 x 44, and am now shopping bases and rings. I've looked at almost everything and have decided to go with a pic rail and rings. Problem is, for left hand Montana's the choices seem pretty limited.

I've emailed/called several companies and have either gotten a negative, or no response back yet. I think I want a 20 MOA rail, but for the distances I'll be shooting, (0-1000 yds.) taking scope adjustment into consideration (75 MOA) even with a 100 yd. 0 I think I'd be OK with a 0 MOA rail if that's all I can find. Montana is no help, they recommend Leupold dual dove tails and I'm not interested in going that route. They claim their hole pattern matches post 64 Winchester Model 70 specs, but apparently not true (I got hole layout from them and discussed with Richard from Near).

I'm not trying to skimp on $s, I want quality. I've looked at Ken Farrell, but haven't inquired there yet. I've read quite a bit about his rails being too high (I know that some of this could be addressed with the rings, but many say they still can't get quite low enough). As I said I called Near, as I really wanted an Alphamount, but he doesn't make anything to fit the Montana.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I might find a quality rail to fit this rifle?

On rings, I'm considering Ken Farrell, American Rifle Company M10, Leupold Mark 4, etc.

Any thoughts there?

I know there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site so I'm hoping I can get some help. Thanks in advance for any input guys.

wily

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts