bartlein 5r 1 in 8 for 243 Winchester advice

jca57jd

Hey guys I have a rem 700 with a factory varmint barrel on it. I'm thinking about swapping to a bartlien 6mm 5r 1 in 8 and shooting 105 hybrids. What length would you go with? I'm thinking 26"? What kind of acuraccy do you think I would be able to get at 300yds? Any body recommend another brand barrel for a specific reason?

I'm going to be tactical shooting and hunting with it out to 1000. Thanks!

Bartlien, Krieger, BRUX, Hart, Broughton, all make good barrels. There are others I didn't get in the list. Accuracy will be determined by the quality of the work preformed on the blank and the action,,,,,, that and the quality of the ammo it is fed, the care the barrel gets (cleaning and the methods used to clean), the quality of the bedding job, the optics, and the abilities of the "nut behind the trigger". It ain't all about barrel, but a good barrel will help.

Your barrel needs to be long enough to take advantage of all the energy in the load without losing too much of it in drag at the end of the energy curve. Aside from that, the remark "it ain't all in the barrel" is an excellent point that is often missed when discussing accuracy.

Yeh I'm getting 1.5" groups at 300 (.5 Moa) with the current factory barrel which is great! I just want to be able to move up to the 105's and I want to make sure I'm getting the right barrel! I just built me a ar10 chambered in 243 with a Krieger 1 in 8 but I'm just getting 3" groups with a 1.5 - 2" group here or there. That's why I'm wanting to rebarrel the rem 700.

I've shot in a few f class nra matches and done decent. I've killed some ground hogs with the current barrel at 800yds first shot several times. I'm just wanting to move up with a good barrel. Technically I should probable be putting this money toward my ftr 308 project but I just love 243 Winchester (got 6 in the safe).

i am not sure what tactical shooting is. or tacticool either. my krieger barrels that i use for hunting and long range centerfire competition are 27"-29"; not counting the brake

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.