Barrel Vise

Far North Hunter

Can anyone make a suggestion/recommendation on barrel vises for stubborn 700 barrels? plenty of choices, Bushing style or not? If bushing is ok, would you recommend steel bushings, or will aluminum suffice. Not a heavy user of the tool. Thanks

No experience with them, but GreatScott barrel vices have a lug notch in them for stubborn barrels. I was looking at them the other day and lots of good reviews. As someone said though make sure your lug is not pinned! Curious what others say.......

Can anyone make a suggestion/recommendation on barrel vises for stubborn 700 barrels? plenty of choices, Bushing style or not? If bushing is ok, would you recommend steel bushings, or will aluminum suffice. Not a heavy user of the tool. Thanks
I have a Brownells barrel vice with steel bushings.
It works really well even on Tikka barrels (which are said to be the hardest to remove).
The trick is to sprinkle some rosin (also available from Brownells) on a piece of paper drywall tape And wrap it around the barrel

The Brownells vise and bushings are good quality. The issue with Remington factory barrels is finding bushings that fit the barrel.

I just built my own barrel vise using 2"x 2" steel bar for the base and 1 1/2" x 2" for the top, that's what I had laying around. I bored a 1 1/2" hole through the center of the top and bottom plates and used 3/4-10 grade 8 threaded rods. I will make my own tapered aluminum bushings on the lathe to match some different barrel contours. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping it will work good enough to remove factory barrels. I made another vise years ago, that I recently made some aluminum blocks for with a V milled into the center to remove and install Savage, Remage and previously removed barrels.
EhaMoT.jpg

H7L4E4.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Brownells vice on Remington barrels. Found I needed there lead shims and it worked very well. I did wrap the barrel section that was to be clamped with painters tape, just to avoid any scratches.

If you get a barrel that keeps slipping use powdered sugar on the barrel it will lock up tight or blasting media from your cabinet. I don't usually care about the barrels I'm taking off.

Rosin or fine cloth backed sand paper works too. I built my own with 2 pieces of 2x3 aluminum about 4" long that are drilled for 4 1/2" bolts. I used a bigger 6x6 plate of 1/4" steel drilled the same as the aluminum and welded the heads of the bolts to the bottom side. I put 1/4" piece between the 2 pieces and bored a 1 1/4" hole in them. For custom barrels I don't use bushing and I built bushings for Tikka's, Savages, and stock Remington barrels out of aluminum. The bushings fit up against the steps and are split on one side. If I torque the bolts with a 18" breaker bar almost nothing will move. If I had to do it again I would probably do 3/4" bolts. I think if your using 2 bolts they better be 3/4". I have destroyed a couple vices with bolts screwed into aluminum and another with 2 1/2" bolts. Steel is stronger but it also scratches barrels easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.