Barrel vices

I like that vise from Spear. Any one use inside action wrenches?
Pros?
Cons?
It's ALL about surface contact area. The "universal" vises- whether Grizzly, Viper, etc. do not utilize bushings which match barrel contours. Trying to pull a barrel with a lot of taper on the breech cylinder- which results in minimal actual contact with the barrel- is difficult if not impossible. If the barrel is getting trashed, or refinished, not as big a deal. If it's to be re-used, different story. Once a barrel spins in the vise (or bushing) you've damaged the finish. If you're not re-using the barrel, you may not even need a barrel vise, right? Bench vise with pipe jaws, shop press- anything that'll grip the f out the barrel so it can't spin. You can even change it up, and put the receiver in an external action wrench held in a bench vise, and just use a pipe wrench (guaranteed not to slip) on the barrel itself.

Internal wrenches are not satisfactory for removing many factory barrels. Too much torque required and it can twist/damage the receiver. They're great for switchbarrel setups or rebarrels that were installed with "normal" torque.

Can't go wrong with the barrel vise and action wrench from Brownell's. I've put a 4' cheater pipe on the action wrench with all of my 210 lbs on it to pull milsurp barrels. It's indestructible.

My Viper vice does a fine job. Good advice above about proper use of internal and external action wrenches. Don't be afraid to strike the action wrench to remove a barrel. You're far less likely to spin the barrel vs a cheater bar.

My Viper vice does a fine job. Good advice above about proper use of internal and external action wrenches. Don't be afraid to strike the action wrench to remove a barrel. You're far less likely to spin the barrel vs a cheater bar.
Agree on striking them I've had a few I had to hit the wrench with pretty hard with the 2" lead bar.

Has anyone ever tossed the barreled action in the freezer for a day or two and then used a heat gun to heat the action threads up and they twist right off. Some even twist off by hand??
A likeminded individual said he has done some that way.

So he says anyway. I understand the concept I just haven't tried it