Barrel markings

Barrel blanks are normally stamped on the breech end for caliber (.30 Cal., 6mm, 338, etc), twist and serial numbered. The serial number is for internal manufacture tracking. Shows when, what material & lot.

Barrel blanks are normally stamped on the breech end for caliber (.30 Cal., 6mm, 338, etc), twist and serial numbered. The serial number is for internal manufacture tracking. Shows when, what material & lot.
Thanks for reply I found a Rem 700 action with stainless barrel and brake at pawn shop unfortunately no marking on barrel as to what caliber it is other then possible 30 cal in 300 win or 308. Markings could be under barrel in stock so just curious.

Thanks for reply I found a Rem 700 action with stainless barrel and brake at pawn shop unfortunately no marking on barrel as to what caliber it is other then possible 30 cal in 300 win or 308. Markings could be under barrel in stock so just curious.
You're going to need some cerosafe and make a chamber cast

Oh, over here in Australia EVERY barrel has to be CLEARLY marked as to what caliber it is, even on my comp guns with multiple barrels in the same cartridge.
In another state, EVERY barrel has to have a serial number...ridiculous Australian laws.

I would look under the stock if the pawn shop allows.

Cheers.

You can look at the bolt face,,,, but that still doesn't tell you what cartridge for certain. Cast the chamber, or the shop selling it should. Could be lots of liability in selling a sporting gun without positive chamber ID

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts