barrel contour

midwesthunter

I'm wanting to build a light weight 7mm stw with a 26" barrel. What is the smallest barrel contour I can get away with? I know I may have to wait a while after the second or third shot for barrel to cool down. But want to go as light as possible.
Thanks TJ
gun)

If you really want lightweight, why not just order the lightest contour that your preferred barrel manufacturer offers?

It's not as if they'll offer something that would be TOO light to be of use.

my lightweight 7 mag is turned down to .6 at the muzzle. prolly not the lightest. I would be a featherweight would be around .55 to .58

If you really want lightweight, why not just order the lightest contour that your preferred barrel manufacturer offers?

It's not as if they'll offer something that would be TOO light to be of use.
The lightest I'd go is a #3. I had a customer who was insisting on a #2 made long to finish @ 26". I was against the idea and called the barrel maker. I asked "give me a good reason not to use a #2 contour for a 7mmSTW". His answer,,, " if everything is perfect, and it won't shoot, I don't want to see it!". Go too light of a contour with a high intensity round and the harmonics just don't jive. How many Weatherby MK Vs' have I seen that won't shoot 1 1/2" groups with those 'pencil weight' barrels. There are limits to everything!

The lightest I'd go is a #3. I had a customer who was insisting on a #2 made long to finish @ 26". I was against the idea and called the barrel maker. I asked "give me a good reason not to use a #2 contour for a 7mmSTW". His answer,,, " if everything is perfect, and it won't shoot, I don't want to see it!". Go too light of a contour with a high intensity round and the harmonics just don't jive. How many Weatherby MK Vs' have I seen that won't shoot 1 1/2" groups with those 'pencil weight' barrels. There are limits to everything!

+1

You have not said what you want to use it for, what bullet and what distance.

If you want a 200 yard deer rifle go with a #2
If you want a 400 yard deer rifle go with a #3
600 yard #4
800 yard #5
1000 yard rem varmit

If your building anything under a 600 yard rifle than just get a 7mm-08, then your "light" rifle won't need a muzzle brake.

I don't see the point in a barrel lighter than a #4 for a mid to LR rig. A few but not many guys are experienced or capable enough to consistantly shoot a 6 lb rifle, past 400-500 yards.

For one a rifle that light needs to be held tight, ever see what your heart beat does to the crosswire on a 7lb rifle off a bipod when your shooting at a 150" buck?

That makes perfect sense. Shame on me for assuming, but I had assumed that the barrel manufacturer would not have chambered (offered) a barrel that was absolutely too thin for a given caliber. But I suppose some out there will make whatever is ordered and paid for, regardless of whether it would be "a good idea" or not.

My 7mag with the .600 barrel at the muzzle 6# total weight for the rifle will shoot just under a half and i love it. Wanna do a lone wolf summit xl after this season.

That makes perfect sense. Shame on me for assuming, but I had assumed that the barrel manufacturer would not have chambered (offered) a barrel that was absolutely too thin for a given caliber. But I suppose some out there will make whatever is ordered and paid for, regardless of whether it would be "a good idea" or not.
That #1 or #2 contour may be 'just right' for a LW 7mm/08 or a 7 x57mm. The problem arises when you don't ask the barrel maker or gunsmith 'what he thinks' of your idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.