Barrel contour?

I just purchased a new Remington 700BDL SS RMEF 300WM today. I was wondering how much of a disadvantage I have with the factory contour at longer ranges? I will be shooting no further than 600yds.

Thanks,

WVHILLBILLYJLM

barrel

hi your rifle will be fine to 600 yards. have it Bedded, barrel free floated, trigger adjusted and fit a muzzle break if wanted and thw rifle should shoot to 1000yds. I would look at the 208gr A Max projectiles or the 220gr Sierra's. for powder H1000 or Retumbo are good.

Cheers Bill
Australia

+1 on wild bill's statement. The advantage of heavy barrel is added weight for shooting steadyness, and more likely to heat slower. For big game hunting and cold bore shot's there isn't that much advantage to a heavy barrel IMHO. Happy shooting, Mark

Hillbilly I would shoot the gun first before I started messing with the stock, the gun may shoot fine just the way is. The factory contour should not be a problem. Some of the factory Remingtons shoot better with the factory pressure points than without them. The factory stocks aren't worth bedding and free floating because they are so flemsy IMO. I have a SPS 700 in 270WSM and it has no problem with 4" groups at 500 yards.

David

Hey guys,

Kinda on the same topic, I just ordered a Krieger #6 which tapers to .750 or so. There is a part of me that wants to go heavier to match a Sendero contour, Also for a 300wm. I'm just looking for a sub-moa rifle to the 500 yard mark. I take it by the previous comments that I'm ok with my first order?

Didn't mean to hijack, but no need for a new thread on a similar post.

Thanks, Wade

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.