Barrel cleaning

Poe, I noticed you said you started shooting again and after a bit, it settled down to 1 MOA. Sounds like the barrel refilled the "holes" you emptied when aggressively cleaning it. Which brings me to what benchresters do. They clean the barrel to spotless and THEN fire enough rounds to re-foul it before going to the record target! The re-fouling is the secret!
I got a tip from a gunsmith who got it from a barrelmaker that said all we need to break-in a barrel is shoot 5, put a few drops of gun oil (I use Ballistol) down it and pull a bore snake through, repeat for 20 rounds. Then shoot it as much as you want! Maybe after 2-300 rounds, repeat putting some gun oil in and pull a snake through. Maybe, just maybe, once a year, or so, clean it lightly and re do the snake. I have been doing this a long time and NO degradation of accuracy. Just remember what the benchresters do and you will understand the logic in this procedure.
Having said that, if the barrel has a metallurgical issue( like one said was a bent barrel) or some other reason keeping it from accurate shooting, cleaning of any kind may not fix it.

I clean every time after shooting. Recently started using Wipe out and borescope. Gets most stuff out but I also use Iosso about every two or three uses. Great results always when i use Iosso.

First I'm an Army Medic not a Marine Grunt; but, a Chem Degree and career in Electro-Mechanical repair and sales, along with a strong case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, put me in a strong position when I began Reloading in retirement 12 years ago. To keep this my first post short: 1) I purposely maintain a healthy degree of skepticism, and 2) don't forget Flitz, JB, valve seating preps, etc., by design profile (machine) so be cautious. Just saying; no JB gonna see the bores of my cut and lapped barrels. Especially in these times when Wipeout, Bore Tech, et.al. are readily available for world-class carbon and copper removal. Not denying Elbow Grease required also. Staying safe & well, Jasbo
I have done some extensive testing on various barrels using Boretech C4 carbon remover. Using a bore scope to monitor progress. Quite frankly, I have found the carbon remover to be lacking and a waste of money. The best bang for buck that removed a lot more carbon was scrubing with CRC Brake cleaner and a bronze brush.

15 44 not too bad.
22 20 needs work

Attachments

• WIN_20220124_15_44_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220124_15_44_42_Pro.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 14
  • WIN_20220110_22_20_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220110_22_20_37_Pro.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 15