Barnes Maximum Range-X

traks44

I was just looking at barnes site and they have a new bullet. The "Maximum Range-X Bullet" under "new products" claims to be a long range hunting bullet. I read a little about it, but I wasnt sure. They dont have any B.C's listed for the bullets yet, but they do have calibers offered.

Any thoughts?

Traks44, Barnes is being driven by the consumer. Ballistic tipped bullets are "in". Also, lots of folks don't like the length of the X bullet because they feel it uses up "space" in the case. The new MRX answers all the critics. Basically a TSX bullet with the tungsten rear (shortens bullet for the same weight, also tungsten is heavier than lead which adds rearward weight for accuracy), Triple Shock grooves (eliminates copper fouling problems), and the ballistic tip (adds sex appeal to the design and might raise BC). Speer used the tungsten idea in their Africa Grand Slams, so the only really new idea is making a boattail with a rear core. By the way, Winchester has announced their XP3 bullet also. Basically a Failsafe with ballistic tip and boattail design. Winchester rear is lead core. Funny how one manufacture spurs on another. We know how the bullet wil perform on game, but the question will be accuracy. All that I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to see the Accubond CT version available. It appears to have the black lubalox coating and a sexy red tip. I would like to see that in a 200g 308" for reloading. I would at least test it a little bit. I to just seen Winchesters new bullet. Looks like a nice design, all comes down to what the BC's are and accuracy. I still dont think I'll give that Barnes bullet a try, I swore up and down I'd never shoot another copper bullet be it barnes or whoever else. Just could never get consistent groups with it. One day shot good, next day there all over the target.

At the anticipated cost, I think they will have priced themselves out of the market. My guess is that the bullet will be short lived. It sounds like a Trophy BBC or Failsafe with tungston replacing the lead in the rear core.

It would be interesting to know how much of a real world difference lead vs tungston would make in the rear core?

Rem25-06, Did you have group problems with the TSX or the original X? Most folks had group problems solved with the relief grooves in the TSX. Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

VH, From working with Speer, only advantage of tungsten over lead is the weight. With the MRX design, tungsten will never come into play. It just makes the base heavier for the amount of metal and allows Barnes to make a shorter bullet. Both the MRX and XP3 are a "copper" bullet design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts