Badlands BD-2 load data

🤔
Makes me wonder what goes on here
I used up 150 rounds of components chasing the original group. Never found it again. Not even close
I haven't given up yet giving it one more range session but only thing I can think of is these bullets are more sensitive to jump then other brands. But lead flat out shoots in my rifle and copper is definitely touchy

I also had a issue getting consistent groups. Made sure I stripped the barrel clean before next range session. Problem solved.

I noticed also after my last range session that the copper fouling was very minimal

I also had a issue getting consistent groups. Made sure I stripped the barrel clean before next range session. Problem solved.

I noticed also after my last range session that the copper fouling was very minimal
I'll give the rifle a good cleaning before the next outing those bullets just might like a clean bbl

No unfortunately i do not i will post some of seating ladder.

I was going to start at .017 off and work down to .032 off in increments of .03. Suggestions?
My personal opinion...
If your groups are already 1MOA and you are looking for 1/2MOA or better then yes, go in very small increments like 0.003". However, if your groups are larger than 1-2+MOA I would do larger steps to try to find an area with noticeable group improvement with as few components spent as possible. I personally like to cover 0.010"-0.080" jump in increments of 0.010" and then do smaller increments around the area that looks most promising. I often just do 2-shot groups with the solid copper bullets due to $$$. You could also do three shot groups and save the third shot in each case where the first two don't group well.

I have noticed the seating seems to be picky in all of them, and needs tuning, but they have shoot well in some guns. The original 128 bd shot well in a 10 twist .270 sherman, and the 140 .277 sbdii bullet shoot well in two different 8 twist .270 Sherman's, and we likely wont change those. The original .338 270 sbd shot well in my .338nm, however the 250 sbdii was much more picky, and not easy to find a load. I'm not certain how stable my final load actually was, as I sold the rifle. The .308 175 shot well in a 10 twist 300wsm after I found the seating depth it likes, but the 205 sbdii has not shot well at all in my 8 twist 30 nosler. Seating depth from .005-.125, charge weights, two different powders...no dice. It seems like finicky loading is the price to pay with these high bc mono's. Bottom line, these aren't a bullet I would build a rifle around, have a backup plan, but if they do shoot well, you will have a pretty good combo. Then again, I would say that about any bullet. It's never good to back yourself into a corner with components.

Last edited:
No unfortunately i do not i will post some of seating ladder.

I was going to start at .017 off and work down to .032 off in increments of .03. Suggestions?
That would work. Also look at the run out between the bullet and the brass. I found Peterson Brass necks in the 338 Lapua to be quite uneven in thickness. Not so with Lapua brass.

Last edited:
I shot my 338 Rum, 10 twist with 225gr Badlands 2, last weekend . I tried RL 23 and RL 26. .028 0ff the lands. There is no load data so I just loaded some up. I am going to shoot 5 shot groups next. With RL 23 was 3175 fps and RL 26 was 3245 fps. I used new brass. Primers pockets where good and no case stretch.

Attachments

• 20230611_092508[4086].jpg
    20230611_092508[4086].jpg
    879.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230611_092419[4087].jpg
    20230611_092419[4087].jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 40
I have noticed the seating seems to be picky in all of them, and needs tuning, but they have shoot well in some guns. The original 128 bd shot well in a 10 twist .270 sherman, and the 140 .277 sbdii bullet shoot well in two different 8 twist .270 Sherman's, and we likely wont change those. The original .338 270 sbd shot well in my .338nm, however the 250 sbdii was much more picky, and not easy to find a load. I'm not certain how stable my final load actually was, as I sold the rifle. The .308 175 shot well in a 10 twist 300wsm after I found the seating depth it likes, but the 205 sbdii has not shot well at all in my 8 twist 30 nosler. Seating depth from .005-.125, charge weights, two different powders...no dice. It seems like finicky loading is the price to pay with these high bc mono's. Bottom line, these aren't a bullet I would build a rifle around, have a backup plan, but if they do shoot well, you will have a pretty good combo.
I'm sorry to see that you are having trouble with the 205 gr SBD2 30 cal. Have several guys who did very well in the latest Nightforce ELR challenge using the 300 Norma and that bullet. The were grouping <0.5 MOA. I got 0.25MOA in my Norma right off the bat. Wanted to ask you some questions about your throat clearance with that bullet and the 30 Nosler. You can PM me or call us directly.

I shot my 338 Rum, 10 twist with 225gr Badlands 2, last weekend . I tried RL 23 and RL 26. .028 0ff the lands. There is no load data so I just loaded some up. I am going to shoot 5 shot groups next. With RL 23 was 3175 fps and RL 26 was 3245 fps. I used new brass. Primers pockets where good and no case stretch.
What was your COAL? Those are excellent results. You could kill anything in North America with that load.