Bad Barrel?

Just to throw my two cents in here on this one. I had a top name rifle maker build me 2 rifles and rebarrel a third. All with same barrel from a top 3 manufacturer. Two of the barrels shot great right from the start in one of the new rifles, and on the rebarrel. The second new rifle was very sporadic in its accuracy. One week it would shoot great sub .5 MOA groups, the next it was 2 inch groups. It never showed me any pressure signs but the accuracy issue was driving me crazy and I spent over a year trying to identify the issue and find a consistent load.

What I learned is that some barrels are just gonna give us problems and if its not shooting well to start with, its not worth my time to do the homework on it. I spent an unknown number of hours and how many bullets? 331 to be exact. The effort simply wasn't worth it. Sent the poor performing barreled action back to the rifle maker and he put a nice pretty Proof Sendero Lite on the action. 12 shots later I had a .3 MOA load that I went back a week later and duplicated with 10 shots into .431.

I will never invest that kind of time into a barrel again.

What I learned is that some barrels are just gonna give us problems and if its not shooting well to start with, its not worth my time to do the homework on it. I spent an unknown number of hours and how many bullets? 331 to be exact. The effort simply wasn't worth it. Sent the poor performing barreled action back to the rifle maker and he put a nice pretty Proof Sendero Lite on the action. 12 shots later I had a .3 MOA load that I went back a week later and duplicated with 10 shots into .431.

I will never invest that kind of time into a barrel again.

This is exactly what I have found in my experience. And I have no doubt that the barrel manufacturers have found the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.