B&C Medalist for #4 contour

beartracks

Has anyone here openend up a B&C medalist (7775 - Win M70 short action) to fit a #4 contour barrel ? Was there much thickness left in the rails? Could you go to a #5 contour?

My point of reference is for a Brux #4, which is .870" 6" forward, and .670" at the muzzle.

Thanks,

BT

Bear Tracks, The difference between the factory win barrel and a number 4 is so small, a bit of sandpaper will open the channel with ease. The number 5 should not be a problem either if the stocks forend has any kind of meat to it. If that particular stock is shaped like the win factory featherweight stock then a #5 may have issues.

I've used two of these stocks on Win 70 short actions builds so far, one a 25-284 and the other was a 284. The barrels were #3-#4 fluted contour and both fit the barrel channels no problem. I think a #5 would be no problem as well as I don't remember sanding much if any out of the channel for my two.

As an aside, when you get around to fitting that action in the stock, it will take a little work getting the magazine box to set in the inlet correctly. I believe I had to mill a bit of the bottom metal (underside) and also the mag box to prevent binding between the action, bottom metal and mag box. Make sure you get the receiver/bottom metal inlet properly as the action screw holes won't quite be in the right location...it will take a little messing around.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.