Armadillos

These buggers can jump 4-5' straight up in the air in a fraction of a second. It's like they have a coiled spring in their feet.
I just got out my coyote rig with NV and Thermal along with a shooting chair. Will be more ready than last night and be looking for some tonight. We have rain coming in and they like to be out digging holes for worms/grubs/insects.

Those armadillos will destroy landscaping around your house and as someone mentioned... your foundation.
I shoot them and other varmints around the house with suppressed Ruger 22 and subsonic bullets and a red L.E.D. spotlight mounted on the forearm picatinny rail. Works great day or night! My rural neighbors never notice.
Shot and killed a coyote in my pasture one night 50 yards from my back yard.

Here in our ranch in Texas, we do not have a problem with armadillos. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback, "Scooby," uses them for hunting practice. Given that his breed was designed to hunt lions, it is a good compromise. This picture was taken when he was just a puppy. He is much bigger now (100+ pounds). One other thing, you do have to be careful with armadillos since they often carry leprosy.View attachment 367260
Watch your pup doesn't pick up worms or disease
Edward our Part Rhodesian Ridgeback, had a vengeance on possums and armadillos. He would run out with no noise. a week or two later i would find partial graves under the deck of armadillo and possum Tails sticking out of the dirt.

Last edited:
Don't know if these Armadillos are considered "Varmints" or "Pests".
We have them all over in this part of GA and our YARD.
Probably shot 3 dozen over the past years around 3-4 AM. I would be going on a business trip and leaving early and these suckers would be running around when I would turn on the outside lights and go to my vehicle. I would sometimes shoot them with my CCW. The next day (or at the time) I would have a neighbors from 1/3 mile away call and say "Len are you shooting Yotes or hogs in your yard in the middle of the night" or you OK. Seems like someone always knows who is shooting or shots fired. We had some home invasions about 5-6 miles away and we had an incident here so everyone checks on everyone.
Been seeing the yard all dug up lately. Jill was just outside and several of these buggers scared her when she was going to the Garbage can. Well you know the rest. Jill yelled at me to get rid of them. I grabbed the 223 SBR with light & Laser and went out. Saw two next to a big brush pile. Shot one flipped him up and then shot the second going into the brush pile. Will go out tomorrow and see if there is carcasses before the Yotes get them. Don't want to walk around in the woods at this time of the night.-
I have a irrigated yard and 700 acres of woods around me. They love the softer ground to dig in here. There seems to be a never ending supply of them here in nw Louisiana. My 17hmr and 12 gauge seen to do the trick.

You will find this scene on the sides of the Texas back roads quite often ;-)

armals.jpg

They are the main reason I have been looking at thermal scopes. They may be hard of hearing and not the fastest thing in woods, but they can jump higher than you think. I took a moving shot with the 22 the other evening and caught the armadillo about midway back and it jumped 4 feet in the air and scampered into the thick stuff. Buzzards found it the next day.
Found this out when i was young, snuck up and pet one, he arched his back, and sprung straight up about four feet, scared the crap out of me!

4ft??? Come on guys. I've seen plenty of them launch and I've never seen one get much higher than my knees.