Arizona Long Range Coues Buck!!!

bad4x468

I want to share my Arizone Coues Deer story with you guys ! I'm an Big game guide in Az n NM and do not get much hunting time in for myself as I guide hunts 5 months ! So only being able to do one or two hunts a year for myself , I hunt the Coues deer in usually the leftover tag units, that way you can keep your bonus points but still get to hunt! Last November I picked up a Coues tag in an area I have scouted and hunted for the past 4 years! My hunt is my scouting trip as time is limited but I try and hunt a few small areas and stick with them that is the key to Coues !!!! Stay in an area that holds deer and sit and Glass Glass and Glass!!! I hunt the same vantage point every day trying not to move around much! After a few days and looking at over 15 bucks in my area and having seen a few in the 110 to 120 class I figured it was time to make a move, there where 3 bucks in a drainage about 900 yards away . I have the ability to make a shot of that distance if I can get a solid rest in the prone position , unfortunately my vantage point is a great place to spot deer but not take a shot from . 400 yards to my left is a great point that has a little level bench that is perfect to shoot from so I was making my way to the bench when a buck at ten yards jumped up n blew out ! Dang that was a giant buck I had not seen while glassing 4 days ! So I got set up on the bench and tried to locate that buck but could not find him . As I was glassing a small buck appeared at 600 yards on a ridge , as I followed the small buck with my spotting scope he stopped 500 yards below me and gave away the nice 110 inch buck and a solid 115! I decided I was going to take the 110 inch buck as I really like his rack! It was hard to find him in my scope due to looking into the sun at 3:30 in the afternoon, after 3 attempts to fire a shot , had to settle my self down and regroup! Back into the spotting scope I located the buck again and as he moved uphill 50 yards a giant buck appeared! Looking him over I knew without a dought this was a Coues of a lifetime! I ranged him at 559 yards downhill and had to deal with 25 mile cross wind ! It took me 4 time to get him in my scope due to the sun, I had him in the cross hair adjusted my turret to 500 held two moa for wind and squeezed the trigger on my 6.5x284 ! Crack I heard the bullet hit ( love that sound), took me a minutes to find the buck in my spotting scope, there he lay dead! I gathered my gear and headed to him ! To my amazement he was bigger than I thought !!!! 7 point on each side , a true trophy Coues and in a leftover unit! He scored 130 " and change ! I named him Buck Norris!!!!! I may never harvest another like him but I'm dang sure going to try!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 149
bad4X, great post and Coues. The story of your hunt should be a primer to aspiring Coues hunters. There are good hunts here to be had with leftover tags.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.