Are the L461 and A1 the same?

steelshooter

I have bought a Sako 222 and believed it to be a L461 but it has A1 on the reciever and there is no L461 on it anywhere.
Are they the same action?
Also, are there 2 different action lengths for the 222 and 222 magnum?
I would like to rebarrel it to 204. Will that work?

The bolt shrouds are different but, as far as I can see, there's not much difference between the A1 and the L461. I have not compared bolt faces or other features. Would like to see comments here from a gunsmith who had dealt with both.

I have bought a Sako 222 and believed it to be a L461 but it has A1 on the reciever and there is no L461 on it anywhere.
Are they the same action?
Also, are there 2 different action lengths for the 222 and 222 magnum?
I would like to rebarrel it to 204. Will that work?
The only difference between the 2 is the bolt shroud. The action length for the 222 and 222 Mag are the same, but the mag box is not the same length, neither is the inletting for the mag box for the 222 Mag.
The stocks are different also between these models.
My L461 in 222 has a magazine box length of just over 2.260", which is the max length for the 204 Ruger. Maybe you could source a 222 Magnum magazine box, they are longer from memory, but I don't recall what the exact dimensions were, it's been a while since I played with a Sako in 222 Magnum.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.