Anyone use Barnes Vor-TX in 30-06 150g?

Southernfryedyankee

I normally shoot Remington Core-lokt's in 150 grain but was considering trying something different this season. I always liked Barnes bullets and had considered trying the Vor-TX in my Rem 700. I only hunt deer but am considering giving hogs a try also this year. I know there are a lot of different manufacturers that make good rounds but I DO I like Barnes loaded bullets so personal testament on these would be great. I only plan to hunt a max range of up to 300 yards MAYBE a little further if I can take a perfect shot, no wind, broadside and in the clear.

I started hunting with the 150 Remington Core-Lokt. They did really well and I would shoot them any time. I switched to Hornaday Supperformance 150 SST for better ballistics when I took a long range class and they did pretty good.
The Barnes VOR-TX look like they are about the same thing so I would think they would be a good choice.
The one thing I have a question about is that my cousin used to shoot Barnes bullets out of his 7mm and he said that a lot of them would explode on impact and make a lot of red jelly. I have shot a few deer and elk with the 155 gr SST and had one bullet do this. My cousin thinks that it is because of the ballistic tip on the bullets.
I would like to hear other peoples opinion about that.

I did use the 180gr. T(T)SX Vor-TX in my 300WM with great success. Very good performance both precisionwise and due to final effect. The Barnes bullets in general are (quite) tough, and I've never seen or experienced that T(T)SX "exploded" or were deformed like a Rem CL/Hornady SST! That's seems to me being a myth.
It's important to recognize the recommendations provided by Barnes concerning suitable distances (nescessary deformation) for each cartridge!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.