Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

Thunder child

Have been thinking hard about getting the winchester stealth in .308 but don't know if the new and improved? version stealth II would actually be better than the current stealth model. Has anyone had any hands on experience with the new model yet? Any opinions or comments? Thanks.
confused.gif

Have handled three of them, they are very nice. Have not shot one yet, hope to do that soon.

Basically the action and barrel is unchanged, except for one very positive switch - the trigger guard and bottom metal are one-piece. This elliminates one stock bolt, the new system uses a front and back and no center bolt. That is good since overtightening the center bolt is bad for the action.

The stock is slimmer, a bit more Varmint style than benchrest style. Bit of checkering on the pistol grip, slimmer forend, two sling swivel studs.

I feel that the Stealth had excellent potential for being one of the best shooting out of the box rifles available. Get rid of the 8 pound trigger pull and skim-bed it, install hex head stock bolts from B-Square and it does amazing things. The new rifle will be at least as good, probably better. For starters they use hex head stock bolts which is a real improvement right there since the orginal ones are two shallow to allow proper tightening of the bolts.

How does it compare to Remington's VS? Flip a coin and hope you get a good one from either builder, they are good shooters. How do they compare to Savage - they cost more and might not shoot any better but they just seem like more rifle.

If you buy one please let us know how it shoots. Good luck on your gunbuying.

I found a good deal on a StealthI last month in .308. Accuracy with this rifle is awesome!!! First thing I did was change the screws to the B-square, and turn down the trigger pull to 2.5lbs. My only complaint was the trigger was loose, could wiggle it sideways more than I liked. Fixed it by making a new pin. Original pin was .118" dia, new pin that fit was .1215" dia, eliminated most of the loose tooth effect. While doing some load development I shot the tightest three shot group of my life, under.1" Five shot groups with 45g Varget, 175g SierraMK's are sneaking into .3".

I had the Stealth in 308 and 22.250 sorted the triggers on both very impressive out of the box rifles.Traded the 308 for a 300wm Sharpshooter well what can I say
wink.gif
If it could only make tea and toast
cool.gif

Ian M, Thanks for the report. Guess I was wondering mostly about the new stock, as they list it as a composite, and they don't have as good a reputation for accuracy as the laid up fiberglass stocks.

Could not tell who makes that stock but I would suspect it still might be HS. It is a very nice stock but not a McMillan from my estimation.
I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Ed,
Welcome to Long Range Hunting, there is lots of good info and people here. FN vs Stealth ll - that is a good one. FN has a variety of stock choices, barrel lengths, maybe even calibers. Big hassle a while back about the Picatinny rail, not sure which one is on current rifles. Should be at least 20 degree slope. FN barrels were chrome plated, supposedly selected for quality from FN machine gun barrel manufacture. Real good shooters.
Stealth ll is more "varminty", not tactical looking or intended.
Seems to me that the FN's are controled round feeding, Stealths in .308 are pushfeed. Both work fine.
Depends on the $, stocks would be one significant difference, maybe heard that the FN's were supposed to be select quality, trued actions but not sure about facts of that.
Let me know what you decide, sure would enjoy helping you get into this LR stuff. You still planning some Sask. or Manitoba hunting?
Jim and Ed,
I was told by Winchester that Stealth ll production is questionable right now, not sure when rifles will be manufactured and on the shelves. Hoped for a couple of months or less, but that might be incorrect.

Hey Ian, imagine running into you here! I had no idea this board existed. Lots of good info.

Since I didn't get to the shot show this year, what did you think of the FN PBR as compared to the Stealth II? I believe the FN is quite similar to the Stealth, but is lighter and available in several barrel lengths, possibly making it more portable for carrying in the field. It also apparently comes with a MIL-SPEC rail, but not sure if it has any elevation built into it.

Ian,
I'll be at Brian & Sylvia's place the end of May, but if I remember correctly, you'll be in Alaska that week. Hopefully the 5th trip is the charm for a color phased bear! I drew another fall tag here in Wisconsin, but we have no color phases here.

Incidently, I was not able to book a spot with Tim Tillard, but will be going to Wyoming for antelope and mulies with a couple of buddies in Sept/Oct.

Ed

Ed,
Anyone who lives as close to a big range as you do deffinitely NEEDS a long range rifle like an FN or Stealth ll.

Your time is due to meet up with a blonde or cinnamon up here, you sure you don't come up just to enjoy Syl's cookin'...
I would join you in a heartbeat if I was around, hope you get to go to Charlie's Creek, that place is bear heaven.

Bring your new LR rifle up, nothing wrong with busting a 500 pound bear at 500 yards!

I know...living within 2 miles of a 1000 yard range does impose certain requirements on you. Doesn't help having a brother-in-law who's a long range nut. I've really enjoyed both his Sako and FN SPR. However, I'd like to maintain some measure of portability for hunting (he doesn't seem to care - he's lugging his 15lb Sako out to Wyoming this fall!)

Hopefully, hunting later in the season at Brian's will mean that we head to the northern part of his guide area. The only colored bear I saw was up there (2002) but it was a sow. Not sure of name of the stand. It was in an area that got hit by wind shear, and they no longer hunt it. I saw some nice bears at Charlie's creek, but no color. I'd really like to go back up there.

Well I just couldn't wait for the stealth II. Found a store closing out the "old" Winchester stealth I for $555 and couldn't pass it up. Now the hunt begins for good deals on scope,bases,rings...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.