Anyone lose a rifle?

I remember as a kid, probably about 1974, my dad coming home from a deer hunting trip in north eastern Nevada. i was so excited when he got home. He told me to go check in the side pocket of his pack,he had something for me. when i opened the pack I found a red bandana in a ball and tied at the top and it was heavy. as I opened it up there I saw an old rusty colt single action,the grips were gone, an old rusty strait razor with handle intact. an old silver pocket watch and old tin enameld coffee cup and a few other items. He said he was on foot about 8 t0 10 miles back in on the leward side of a ridge at about 8000', and as he was walking along the edge of this little stand of trees he saw a little opening in the trees. He said he saw what looked to be an old fire ring made of rocks. he said they took a break and he started kicking around the dirt in what would have ben the inside of the faint fire ring. he then got a stick and stated digging around a little. low and behold he found the gun and a few other items in the fire pit. He started looking around the area, said it looked like the perfect place to build a little camp. he was mostly looking at the ground , he said as he looked up he saw something sticking out of the tree, it was the strait razor. some one had stuck the tip into the tree as if he was shaving and like you would stick a knife in a piece of would while you went to do something else. He then found what appeared to be a small silver frame to a small mirror at the bas of that tree. There were some small pieces of broken glass around it in the dirt. He said he then found the silver pocket watch hanging from what was left of an old rusty square nail in the tree.
He also found the old cup sitting on a flat rock at the base of a tree covered with years of debris.He found a few couple old square nails.
In 1986 I was lucky enough to get drawn for area 068 in Nevada for mule deer with my dad and uncle, my first out of state hunt with them. My dad always told me the story about the place he found the items and we often tried to guess what happened to the owner and why they would be left in the fire.My dad had been back there about 10 times over the years and said someday he would take me there. Well this was my time, we made are first hunt opening morning in the direction of the camp and after 3 hard hours of walking we were at the old camp that I tought about so many times over the years, it was finally happening not only was I hunting out of state but I got to visit the camp. It was the same as he told me everything the same as he first described it. Whe had a great hunt killed some nice deer and I learned about some great country, i have been lucky enough to get drawn and visited that camp six other times since then, I just wish i knew the story behind the items. great times with my Father and Uncle. I still have these items and always said I was going to make a shadow box for them, this just spurred me to get started on it, thanks.

Ps there were a lot of old small Hard rock gold and silver mines in the area, small 1 to 4 man operations fem days gone by. I have explored a few.

I remember as a kid, probably about 1974, my dad coming home from a deer hunting trip in north eastern Nevada. i was so excited when he got home. He told me to go check in the side pocket of his pack,he had something for me. when i opened the pack I found a red bandana in a ball and tied at the top and it was heavy. as I opened it up there I saw an old rusty colt single action,the grips were gone, an old rusty strait razor with handle intact. an old silver pocket watch and old tin enameld coffee cup and a few other items. He said he was on foot about 8 t0 10 miles back in on the leward side of a ridge at about 8000', and as he was walking along the edge of this little stand of trees he saw a little opening in the trees. He said he saw what looked to be an old fire ring made of rocks. he said they took a break and he started kicking around the dirt in what would have ben the inside of the faint fire ring. he then got a stick and stated digging around a little. low and behold he found the gun and a few other items in the fire pit. He started looking around the area, said it looked like the perfect place to build a little camp. he was mostly looking at the ground , he said as he looked up he saw something sticking out of the tree, it was the strait razor. some one had stuck the tip into the tree as if he was shaving and like you would stick a knife in a piece of would while you went to do something else. He then found what appeared to be a small silver frame to a small mirror at the bas of that tree. There were some small pieces of broken glass around it in the dirt. He said he then found the silver pocket watch hanging from what was left of an old rusty square nail in the tree.
He also found the old cup sitting on a flat rock at the base of a tree covered with years of debris.He found a few couple old square nails.
In 1986 I was lucky enough to get drawn for area 068 in Nevada for mule deer with my dad and uncle, my first out of state hunt with them. My dad always told me the story about the place he found the items and we often tried to guess what happened to the owner and why they would be left in the fire.My dad had been back there about 10 times over the years and said someday he would take me there. Well this was my time, we made are first hunt opening morning in the direction of the camp and after 3 hard hours of walking we were at the old camp that I tought about so many times over the years, it was finally happening not only was I hunting out of state but I got to visit the camp. It was the same as he told me everything the same as he first described it. Whe had a great hunt killed some nice deer and I learned about some great country, i have been lucky enough to get drawn and visited that camp six other times since then, I just wish i knew the story behind the items. great times with my Father and Uncle. I still have these items and always said I was going to make a shadow box for them, this just spurred me to get started on it, thanks.

Ps there were a lot of old small Hard rock gold and silver mines in the area, small 1 to 4 man operations fem days gone by. I have explored a few.

Great story!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.