Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'South' started by gmartin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gmartin

gmartin Member

My dog brought this up out of the woods behind my house today. Never seen anything like it before. About the size of a possum with some nasty teeth. I'm in Yadkin county of NC. Thanks in advance, gm

[​IMG]

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Vampire pitbull if I had to guess good thing it was dead or you might have not been alive to share.

3. TikkaShooters

TikkaShooters Official LRH Sponsor

Could it be a badly decayed hog ?

4. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

Not with top teeth like that.
    [​IMG]

5. gmartin

gmartin Member

Another pic of the body. Hog's don't have feet and tails like this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. gmartin

gmartin Member

Front shot of the head.

[​IMG]

7. meatyrem

meatyrem Well-Known Member

Not a clue. But hopefully you find out. Do let us know when you find out. Maybe DNR could help with that.

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

That thing is interesting enough to do a DNA thing on. Take it to a university. Not DNR. Plus preserve it for later use.

Possum size? By the look of that canine it must have been mature? Also seems a long way between eye and ear? Bulky head seems strange also?

Could be a wampus cat or maybe one of those Chupacobber things. :D

9. sniper1911

sniper1911 Well-Known Member

Its a chuppacabrah! Ive seen some jacked up lookin critters in my day ,but that takes the cake ! i would contact your neart game warden or the NC fish & wildlife dept. ASAP ! If that little rascal has babies ,Lord only knows what could happen . been any small animals come up missing around your area ? Certainly curious to know what it is .i'll print a pic of it & ask my friend, he's a game warden here in Tx ,and we've seen some odd creatures around here . GOOD LUCK & DONT LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT THE 45 !!!! God bless !!!!!

10. sniper1911

PS I know it sounds gross, but if you have a vaccume sealer , I would put it a vac bag & freeze it because fish and game is going to want to see it . double bag it ,lol!!!! Good luck my friend !

11. gmartin

gmartin Member

I'm 56 and have seen possems all my life but this is a first for one with fangs. Still going to take it somewhere.
    Check this out:
    Possum fangs?

12. TikkaShooters

TikkaShooters Official LRH Sponsor

You're right.it couldn't be a hog. Agreed that the dnr would be the best place to start.

13. sniper1911

I guess it could be a possum, but in all my years & as many as Ive killed for eating all the corn outta my feeders , I have yet to see one with canines the size of his , and Ive killed some that were huge . I would still check with the dept of fish & game , or even a vetranarian could be VERY helpfull . KEEP US POSTED , you have peaked my curiosities now , LOL ! God bless ! Doug

14. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Racoon, lost it's hair in decomp?
    teeth look longer because the gum is gone.