Anybody using IMR 7977.

Wild Bill G

I just picked up a pound of it to try in some of my rifles. I was thinking my 25-06 and maybe 6.5x55. Has any body else used it and in what guns it is supposed to be around 7828 burn rate.

I'm using it in a 7mm LRM with 180 Berger's. It seems pretty close to H-1000, it's been accurate and temp stable so far. I started using it when it was impossible to find H-1000 and it worked so well that I haven't switched back.

I found it took a lot more capacity than h1000 or 7828 in my 300wby

Last edited:
Wild, per burn rate chart it's practically identical to H1000. I've subbed it for H1000 with some similarity. Using the Enduron 4451 as a sub for H4350.

I've used it in 7 mag and 280 Ackley. Good velocity and accuracy. Carbon fouling seems to be above other powders I've used, but little or no copper fouling.

Wild, per burn rate chart it's practically identical to H1000. I've subbed it for H1000 with some similarity. Using the Enduron 4451 as a sub for H4350.
Using 212 eldx in my 300, which is tight with mag length as is, starting load of 7977 gets 2825fps and the bullet crunches powder. I can get to 2900 fps with h1000 before running out of room and 2950fps with 7878 before crunching powder. Just what I've found with it

I did read it was supposed to fill cases nicely. How ever I thought it was supposed to burn cleaner then other powders. That was part of the Enduron marketing scheme.

• Wild, a friend's Savage 300 WM was practically copper-free after about a dozen rounds, but the carbon fouling seemed heavier. In his rifle, the Enduron was more accurate than H1000, in a couple others H1000 won out.

I just picked up a pound of it to try in some of my rifles. I was thinking my 25-06 and maybe 6.5x55. Has any body else used it and in what guns it is supposed to be around 7828 burn rate.
It's slower than 7828, and right about the same as H1000. I use 7828 SSC in my .25-06 AI, and it works awesome. With 7828 SSC, I'm nearly at 100% fill when I hit pressure signs, so I would most-likely lose velocity trying to stuff an equal amount of slower powder in there.

I've had a bunch 7977 since it first got released, but have not been able to do any testing yet.

That being said, I'm interested to hear your results.

I am really wondering what to use it in. Maybe I should give it a try in my 257 Wby not sure though if it would be a good match with 100gr. bullets. I am using 180's in my 300Wby so it us likely to slow there as well. To tell the truth I thought it had a little faster burning rate. Now I may have to find a gun to use it inLOL.

I am really wondering what to use it in. Maybe I should give it a try in my 257 Wby not sure though if it would be a good match with 100gr. bullets. I am using 180's in my 300Wby so it us likely to slow there as well. To tell the truth I thought it had a little faster burning rate. Now I may have to find a gun to use it inLOL.
Both of your Weatherby cartridges it should work fine for. H1000 works great in the .257 Wby and .300 Wby, so I'd be willing to bet you'd have good results with 7977 in those cartridges, as well.

It should work fine, with 7977 and 180s it might use the case capacity up nicely. I always had extra room in my 257 with 7828, could work well there too. Just have to try it.

I'm running 7977 in a pair of 25-06's. Using the 110 gr AB and getting right at 3200 fps on one rifle and 3150-3175 on the other. The 'slow' one has about 3500 rounds down the barrel but still prints some sub-moa groups when I do my part.
The other is one I had 'built' way back when. Pawn shop rescue with a Douglas barrel and a Fajen stock. Prints nice little .75" or smaller groups. That one has around 1500 rounds down it's barrel and still going strong.
I'm chasing the lands on both of them, the first one more so than the second.
I even tried it in my 264 WM with 142's but the RL33 was faster and as accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.