Anybody tried out the Nikon M-223 Laser?

SaskShooter

I've been searching for a secondary coyote gun, something semi-auto, flat shooting, and Non-Restricted (if you're from Canada then you'll understand).

I settled on the H&K SL8-4 (WHEN I get the money WHEN I get the money WHEN I get the money WHEN I get the money).

Now, I'll need an optic for it, and I need to know if anyone has used the Nikon M-223 Laser IRT yet. Especially, does anyone know how far the built-in rangefinder can actually go in the field?
The BDC reticle is graduated to 600 yards, but can the laser actually reflect off an animal at that distance? Call me a skeptic, but I'm just not sure about the capabilities of an inside-the-scope laser rangefinder.

Sask, I have put 2000 rounds under one. Last summer I was doing some product testing and shot 1000 rounds of .223 and 1000 rounds of .308 ammo under Nkon's M-223 2.5-10 Laser IRT. I was very impressed. I had 3 targets set up and moved from one to the other all the while making sure the laser picked up my target and ranged before firing. No issues at all. It was one hot day as well. 105 deg. under the awning and at one point shooting the DPMS Oreacle in .308 the barrel got so hot it melted my rest to the barrel. Still no issues with the Laser IRT not functioning properly. The rangefinder works and changes as you pan from one reflective target tot he next giving you accurate readings, then you can utilize the BDC reticle to choose the correct circle for your distance.
I showed this scope to many guys at Shot Show and not one didn't say he wanted one. Needless to say Sask., It's on my wish list too.
Drop me a note if you have nay more questions.
You can read more abot this optic at Nikonhunting.com

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-223IRT-3.jpg

You forgot to mention the type/size of targets you were shooting, and the distances they were placed at.
I just really need to know if the scope will be able to consistently range a coyote size critter at 400-500 yards in fair weather conditions.

Sask., I was shooting 10 inch steel plates. I do not see why it wouldn't. At Shot Show a lot of the guy's check ing this scope out wold sight it in on people walking around to see how well it picked up and then would change numbers as you moved from target to target. That and the BDC rticle really amazed folks.

Here's a pic of a new target before and after....
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/targets.png

I ask again, what range were the plates at?

Also, how many lugs does the mount have? The H&K Picatinny Rail setup on the SL8-4 is kinda weird, it isn't a continuous rail but it stops and starts.

Thanks for all the info.

100, 150 and 200 yards. Staggered over 3 shooting lanes at my range.
2 locking lugs for your rail.

Well then that probably won't work on an SL8 unless I buy the aftermarket rail system, but thanks anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts