Anybody cryo-treating barrels?

sambo3006

I heard alot of talk 5-10 years ago about cryo treating barrels and receivers (and had one done myself). Is this still thought of as a good thing? From what I understand it can increase accuracy and lengthen barrel life.

From most that I have read cryo is something you use if you have a problem with residule stress in a barrel. Some have reported good results if they were experiencing group stringing as the barrel heated up. For example if you fire ten shots in fairly rapid sucession and the group starts out on target but the later rounds tend to move away (up and to the right seems a popular direction to move for some reason), you may have residule stress in the barrel that cryo may be able to help with. You may also have a pressure point on the barrel that cryo won't help.

Some custom barrel makers offer it but others say that they don't find any effect. That is probably because they are using a propper stress relief regime in the first place. Bulk barrel makers may not take as much care in the heat treatment.

As for barrel wear, most seem to agree that it does help reduce wear due to friction. Since the biggest wear is due to being exposed to erosive effects of the combustion gasses, it is somewhat questionable how much help cryo treatment would be. But it probably wont hurt.

Cryo treaters also claim that it effects different materials more or less, Carbon steel more, stainless steel less. If I was having a rifel made with a known barrel burner cartridge I would probably spring the extra few bucks for cryo on the theory that it won't hurt and may help. If it only helps your confidence and takes away some little doubt, it may be worth it.

I have a custom 700 Titanium with stainless Douglas barrel that always acted inconsistent. I think that the titanium action is flexing too much. Cryo-treated both action and barrel. Groups settled down and are now at least consistent. Don't know how much Remington stresses their titanium action in manufacturing, but I'm pleased with the cryo improvement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Biggest thing I noticed was the way a cryo treated barrel machines. Something about the molecular structure I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.