any suggestions about a 300 wsm

The major difference between the Savage and Remington WSM's that is not fixable is the Remington action is shorter than the Savage.
The Savage is a 7 WSM and I can seat the bullets to touch the lands and still fit in the magazine. The Remington is a 270 WSM and I can not seat the bullets out far enough to touch and still have them fit in the magazine.
The Savage out shoots the Remington and is considerably cheaper.

I shoot the Savage Model 12 VSS 300 WSM and I absolutely love it. I will never get rid of that rifle. The one downfall I did find with the gun when I bought it was the stock. it is a little on the cheap side in my oppinion. $200 later and that problem was fixed. the Bell and Charlson Medalist stock is a great feeling stock and looks great to. Now it is the Cadilac of my gun collection. I also put a muzzle break on it. loud as hell but knocks the recoil right down. great hunting round from my experiences on elk and deer

I know this is for the 300 wsm, and that the OP has his mind made up... but I'm a newbie to long range hunting and shooting in general with rifles...

I currently own a 1/12 twist .223 Remmy 700. This allows me to shoot the 40-55gr Vmax at right at .50 all day long. Hadn't tried any 60gr, afraid to see the groups open up :)

Now... my goal is to get a bigger bore to supplement my hunting experience. The .223 has recently taken a hog at about 50 yards, but I want something bigger to make certain that if I miss behind the ear for some reason, that it'll kill the pig, not make it mad... in addition to killing a few deer, pronghorn, and any coyotes out to 500 yards or so. I'm looking at the .300 WSM or the 7mm-8.

Given the choice, which would you choose, and why? I'm not a brand fiend... although I'm partial to Marlin and Remington.. I am in love with the Savage 111 with the AT/AS. Just curious if those two options were available, which one would be chosen. Thanks for your input as well.

--Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.