Any reviews for a CZ 550 varmint .308?

SWTEXAS

I have been hunting for quite a while and shot competitively in air/smallbore rifle as a kid, and later shot club tournaments with a .45ACP. I'll be retiring from the Army soon, and thought I'd pick back up on an old hobby (although with a larger caliber). I already have a decent deer rifle (Synthetic REM 700 in .30-06), but I don't think it's factory barrel and light stock would be appropriate for extended range use. I am considering buying a CZ 550 Varmint in .308 with walnut stock, and was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or opinions. I chose CZ in .308 for the following reasons:
1. Mauser action (Feeding and Extracting)
2. Form and fit of the rifle
3. Heavy barrel (although I have looked into a barrel from Lothar Walther, if I am not impressed with the factory one)
4. .308 ammo is cheap and readily available just about anywhere
5. The cost is just over $600 online
6. The rifle is aesthetically pleasing ( I know this should not matter, but the thing is pretty)
7. A .308 won't beat me up too bad after a few hours of shooting (Bad shoulders from the Army)
8. I can add a entry level scope and bipod an be right at $1000

I appreciate any help ya'll can give. Oh, and for all the Savage guys, I plan on getting a Model 12 Low Profile in .300WSM next for an upcoming Nilgai hunt. Thanks - John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.