Any opinions on Alliant's Reloder22?

RuffHewn

Any opinions on Alliant\'s Reloder22?

I am interested in temperature sensitivity, consistency lot to lot, and bore fouling after 20-30 rds.

I am aware of the Navy's tests in selecting Re22 for the A191 cartridge but also am aware that tests can be fudged for a desired result in favor or against any manufacturer, vendor, product, etc.

Re: Any opinions on Alliant\'s Reloder22?

I have not found it to be temp sensitive. I've used it in my 416 Wby for quite a while now. At lower temps (20deg) I actually had an increase in MV by 20-30 fps over those that were fired at 65-75deg. I keep track of lot #'s and I've not found a noticable difference for quite a while. I did have to drop a load by 3gr in the very begining, but haven't had to ever since. I've got over 600 rounds through it now too. 80% of them were with the 400gr Barnes at the same load.

Ruffhewn-I use Re 22 also and really like it!!!! In fact I like most of their powders! I have found that just about any powder is affected by extreme temperature shift. Even the extreme powders like H4831sc are affected by heat. I have noticed that like BLC-2 in my 223 is not affected as say my larger caliber weapons. I had someone point out to me that some vertical stringing I got at 1000yds was due to inconsistent ignition and I should switch from a CCI250 primer to a Fed215m. The 250s shot ok in warmer weather but in the cooler weather they didn't. I chronographed the load with the 215s in cooler weather and found that the extreme spread decreased. I am now wondering if these temperature sensitivity issues aren't more primer related than powder related. Oh well I guess everyone here is in search of the magic BB too!!!

Brent and H-Bar, many thanks.

I am ecstatic over the results I am getting but I needed reassurance that a load I develop now would not dissapoint me in late January toward the end of deer season or while varminting next Summer.

The Navy tests were in temps from -40 to 125 deg F and various criteria had to be satisfied. Re22 was selected over Re19 and a couple IMR and AA powders. However, I trust info I get from members here more than a DoD test report.

RuffHewn

I have found that RL22 is temperature sensitive and shows a wide lot to lot variance. You will have to completely retune the load every time you switch lots for best accuracy. Last year Alliant had a recall on one lot of RL22 that was super hot over the others. Not my first choice in powders any more. Go with a Hodgen Extreme first if possible. MRP is equivalent to RL22, not as temp sensitive and shows very little lot to lot variance. If you use it buy large 5 lb jugs to keep from retuning every time you buy a new 1lb jug.

I have found that you will run into pressur problems when the heat and humidity go up.

BH

[ 10-14-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

I bought a pound of RL22...Lot# 25083 that was about 8gr hotter than any other RL22 I've used.It was the last time I bought any..

boyd that was the lot that was recalled.. i have 3 lbs sitting in my basement, ill make you a good price on them.

I spread mine on the lawn
wink.gif

ill take a shot at one with a .308 tracer. or maybe not.

BH,

I can't say that it is all consistant, but the lots of it and RL25 I have used have certainly been in the last two years. I think the recall was quite some time ago, or it was common knowledge way back. I've got a can of it too, I never did use it tho.

I have a test I did with RL25 not too long ago, probably July, where I tested 3 different lot #'s, 25180, 25108, 25057. I can send you the results from the Oehler 43 if you like.

When I test mine in cold weather, they are totally cold saturated, so I know my ammo isn't warmer and giving me BS info as far as temperature stability. I believe Hodgdon is full of BS in that they have the only temp stable powder going. I use Hodgdon and Alliant, both are the best powder out there in my opinion.

Brent,

my experience with RL22 shows a variance not only on the chrono but in accuracy in particular with different lots. Also as humidity and temp go up ie into the high 90 degrees and humidity with it pressure goes up with it much faster than other powders. I am sure that is not a factor in Alaska.

I have shot RL22 at 99 degrees and 97% humidity and had velocity go up over 160 fps and pierce every primer and in fact the gas coming through the primer broke the sear on 2 triggers in two days and bent a mainspring on a third. This was a very good load that worked well at low 90 degree temps and mid 50-70 humidity. I had to drop over 2.4 grains to get the pressures and velocity back down.

BH

BH, how does humidity affect a round that was loaded in a less humid environment. or were you loading them during the high humidity?

That some pretty extreme changes, ouch.

I have to be with JB on this one! I haven't had any problems with Re22 at all. I have always bought it in pound cans and have used
a very large quantity and have had no problems. I have also used Hodgdon powder and it has the same shift that the Re series of powder has. ALL powder has a shift with the weather and I mean ALL! I have not had any noticable shift with different lots of Re22. I also use Re19 and Re25 and have had no problems. I like Hodgdon and Alliant powders alot and use alot of both brands but have yet to see a difference in quality!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.