Any load help for 338 RUM, magazine length 227 Nosler E-tip and Berger 250 Elite Hunter?

Buck Fever

Powder is hard to come by these days. I bought a jug of RL25 and was given some 4000MR that I can try.

I want to use the Bergers as my main 1,000 yard ammo and the Noslers possibly as practice for loading solids (my mile+ ammo will probably be 256 WFL) and ammo to load up and have around.

The Noslers have a cannelure and I ordered a Lee Factory Crimp Die just in case I have any bullet set back issues in the magazine.

Any experience with these bullets or powders is appreciated.

I don't have a barrel yet so I'm not going to be loading this soon but I would like to have as much info on hand when that day comes.

Thanks.

I just got some brass. Its 300 RUM so I'll have to expand the neck and bump the shoulder back 0.090".

My chassis is going to be coming next week. My barrel should get started next week.

One issue, I got a 338 Lapua Magnum magazine and the rib in the magazine hits the shoulder. I'm going to have to cut it out to load more than one. It is an MDT Black Friday magazine that was 50% off, it will be my backup magazine. I will have to buy an Accurate Mag I think with the proper 338 RUM ribs.

On the good side, if I hold the magazine in the action, i can get the bolt to strip a case, CRF it under the extractor and eject it exactly as it should.

I also have a Hornady die set that I have upgraded with a micrometer seating stem. I just bought a 338 RUM Redding body die to bump the shoulder and I have a Lee 338 RUM two die set and a couple 8mm expander/decapper stems so I can incrementally go from 308 to 338. After I load up my first ladder test and get some once fired, I'll send a couple cases to Lee for a custom collett neck sizer die.

Any way, it's starting to get close.

If you are serious about the rifle I would go to adg and buy their 338 rum brass. They have a few left in stock. Rl25 will be fine, but I would try and find H1000 or N570.

My Redding body die arrived and looks good.

I have a Hornady modified case in 338 RUM for setting bullet seating depth and I looked to see how it fit in the body die but I was surprised to see it was made from Nosler 338 RUM brass.

Comparing the modified case to my Norma 300 RUM brass, the head stamp looks very similar. They seem to have spent some time on the "norma" font, the "NOSLER" font seems like an afterthought. The "Rem Ultra Mag" seems like a perfect match and the 300/338 is as close as I would expect.

Any way, that confirms the Norma makes Nosler brass (except SSA makes some of the common calibers) story that I have heard.

One other weird thing I have heard is that some new Nosler brass needs a lot of work before it is ready to load but the Nosler brass in their factory ammo is good to go.

I'm not sure what to believe. My Norma brass seems fine. I guess I'm just going to have to form it, load it and fire it several times to see how it behaves.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.