Any first hand experience w/270WSM & 140VLD & H4831SC?

txsendero

Even though the bullets in each manual are different, I noticed the other day looking at 270WSM Hodgdon & Berger load data for 140 grain bullet with H4831SC that the Hodgdon max is 62.5 gr and the Berger max is 65 gr, AND the velocity listed in the Berger manual for max charge of H4831SC is a higher velocity than the max charge of Retumbo.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this combo?

Even though the bullets in each manual are different, I noticed the other day looking at 270WSM Hodgdon & Berger load data for 140 grain bullet with H4831SC that the Hodgdon max is 62.5 gr and the Berger max is 65 gr, AND the velocity listed in the Berger manual for max charge of H4831SC is a higher velocity than the max charge of Retumbo.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this combo?
txsendero,
Our loads are based on the COAL (2.860 IN) listed with the data and are conservative due to bullet length.

When I first started load development for my Rem 270 wsm with the 140 gr VLD, the 2 powders I chose were H4831sc and Retumbo. They both produced great results but Retumbo was better in the end for accuracy and speed. Running 69 gr Retumbo getting 3050 fps. Hodgdon book max is 71 gr. But with the kind of groups I was getting, I didn't fill the need to push it harder for an extra 50-100 fps. If Retumbo gets hard to find I wouldn't hesitate to use H4831sc. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 174
When I first started load development for my Rem 270 wsm with the 140 gr VLD, the 2 powders I chose were H4831sc and Retumbo. They both produced great results but Retumbo was better in the end for accuracy and speed. Running 69 gr Retumbo getting 3050 fps. Hodgdon book max is 71 gr. But with the kind of groups I was getting, I didn't fill the need to push it harder for an extra 50-100 fps. If Retumbo gets hard to find I wouldn't hesitate to use H4831sc. Hope this helps.

I know that my rifle will probably be different, but what seating depth are you using with the 140VLD?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.