Any 22 grendel guys

calib

Have hunted coyotes for many years, have mostly shot bolt guns, but getting the thermal itch and wanted something that could get some shots of at night fairly quick as there is lots of dogs on a ranch i have access to.
I had a 22 grendel from balwin gunworks in Illinois done. Suppressed i am running a 69 grain tmk at approximately 3300fps with accuracy. I plan to use this on some dogs this winter as well as maybe some wolves here in idaho.

What are your guy's experiences with the 69tmk on dogs and if you run a 22 grendel what loads have you played with

Attachments

• 20190725_203026.jpg
    20190725_203026.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 422
  • 20190218_002249.jpg
    20190218_002249.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 446
from Sierra:
While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.

Now at your speed I would think they should be fine on coyotes. You are shooting at night and want them drt so you might want to find a real hunting/varmint bullet. I will say I could never tell anyone to use any 22 on a wolf. They are bigger and tougher than you think. And like any game need to be dispatched quickly.

I built a 22 Grendel for hunting coyotes, mine has an 8 twist Bartlien barrel. I use Hornady 75 grn eldm they drop coyotes in their tracks.

I was running 75 and 80 to play with 69 shoots great in the 7 twist, i may go and play with 75 again

With that 7 twist you could go up to 90g bullets. The 224 Val runs 6.5-7 twist for the longer-heavier pills. Just make sure they will fit in your mag, but they should.

Thats the great thing about grendel, lots of mag space for the long bullets. I would stay probably 75 or 80 and not go higher in weight if i change the load.

Did a creedmoor in a tikka and that thing will level some animals i am sure, 75 grain at 3500 plus, donated the rifle for a fund raiser for a kid lical that is in kidney failure. Will have another done one day.

In the grendel i have thought about a b.t. or v max, but the eld's shoot a lot like amx and those use to do great in a 22 250 ai.

Say what you must about using "match bullets" for hunting. But I used the 69 TMK from a savage bolt gun .223 rem and even at those speeds, it worked on coyotes. I don't remember the yardages, but know that I didn't have any "run offs". It's been about 2-3 years since I've used them though. Now I'm using a 6mm Grendel for yotes. 75 gr, TNT AT AROUND 3200 in a 20" AR is LETHAL on dogs.

As for the TMK I also used them on 3 whitetail, these were the 155's from a .308 running ~3000 FPS. They were way too explosive. Tall grass with a group of does, I shot and dropped 3 of the 6 that were in the field. None of them took a step. They were all broadside, 160-180 yards and the wounds were consistent in all 3. I'll try to find a pic.

Say what you must about using "match bullets" for hunting. But I used the 69 TMK from a savage bolt gun .223 rem and even at those speeds, it worked on coyotes. I don't remember the yardages, but know that I didn't have any "run offs". It's been about 2-3 years since I've used them though. Now I'm using a 6mm Grendel for yotes. 75 gr, TNT AT AROUND 3200 in a 20" AR is LETHAL on dogs.

As for the TMK I also used them on 3 whitetail, these were the 155's from a .308 running ~3000 FPS. They were way too explosive. Tall grass with a group of does, I shot and dropped 3 of the 6 that were in the field. None of them took a step. They were all broadside, 160-180 yards and the wounds were consistent in all 3. I'll try to find a pic.

^ this. I plan to switch my 6.5 grendel to a 6mm grendel and then have a prefit built for my Origin action in 22 creed for other stuff. I bet that 6mm is nasty. Which barrel did you go with?

^ this. I plan to switch my 6.5 grendel to a 6mm grendel and then have a prefit built for my Origin action in 22 creed for other stuff. I bet that 6mm is nasty. Which barrel did you go with?

I like your idea. Since I started reading the OP original post I've had this in my head. I built two 6.5 Gr's a couple of years back. It is a fun little caliber just can't get any speed out of them. 2400-2500fps with 123g bullet not enough for me. Putting a 22 barrel or 6mm on one and sizing the cases down seems like such an easy thing to do. More research to follow. Haven't been over on the Grendel forum for a while, time to go take a look.

I like your idea. Since I started reading the OP original post I've had this in my head. I built two 6.5 Gr's a couple of years back. It is a fun little caliber just can't get any speed out of them. 2400-2500fps with 123g bullet not enough for me. Putting a 22 barrel or 6mm on one and sizing the cases down seems like such an easy thing to do. More research to follow. Haven't been over on the Grendel forum for a while, time to go take a look.
Dude I'm thinking the same thing. Yes... the 123's have their place... 6.5 grendel is a great do most-of-it-all caliber... but I want a specific coyote hunting rig. May even go SBR with a 10-13" 6mm grendel or 22 grendel. I run everything suppressed now anyway. Let me know what you decide on... lots of amazing barrel mfg's out there.

I'v already got enough 243's so I'm leaning for the 22 Gr. Sounds like it would put a 223 to shame in way of velocity and bullet weight. And still be in an AR platform. I'll probably stick with a 20-22" barrel since my state will never allow suppressors. They can shoot 4-5 dozen people up there every weekend but don't care one bit about the hearing of normal shooters.

I bought this one from ar15 performance. Ordered the firs from him as well. I think it set me back less than $400... it took me a bit to get a load for it but once I did, it shoots sweet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts