Another reason Why I hate California

Discussion in 'Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics' started by deerhunter64, Oct 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. deerhunter64

deerhunter64 Well-Known Member

I turn 55 this December. Decided to buy myself a wonderful senior citizen gift for myself in the form of a GA Precision Crusader in 6.5 PRC. It was suppose to be completed in early December but it arrived at the gun store a week ago. I started to fill out the paperwork and the salesman says I need my social security card and a utility bill showing the same address as my driver license. Is this just a California thing because last year when I purchased a rifle, my license and my retired sheriff ID was good enough. And don't even get me started on the taxes here.

Hse0785 and 300whisper like this.
  2. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

insane

Deputy819 and villagelightsmith like this.
  3. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

Yup, a new thing this year. I had to go get a fire permit with my address on it because I had moved and didn't have any utility bills with my name on them.

I also had to use my CCW and my hunting license.

4. Blacktailer

Blacktailer Member

That's why I moved. When they want you to buy a license to buy 22 shells that was the last straw. Now if I can just get my ranch in Paso Robles sold...

Alibiiv, Bucklowery and Hse0785 like this.
  5. Andrew Massi

Andrew Massi Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

You didnt need your social security card, if your driver's license has a current address you should have been good with your retiree credentials. If it is an old address or po box you have to prove current physical address- this is atf mandate not ca doj. Such a hassle, I always get a chuckle walking in carrying concealed and having to come back 10 days later to pick up my new gun

6. Elnicko

Elnicko Well-Known Member

DL and hunting license works as long as the address is the same.

7. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

First of all...congrats on making it to retirement in our line of work. Hopefully, I can do the same in the next few years.
    Only thing needed here in Kentucky for firearms purchase is your drivers license. Incidentally, they also DID AWAY with the need for CCDW licenses here this past June....

8. Orange Dust

I have to say this. What credentials do you need to vote? Should be more than buying a firearm. If not, maybe that is the problem out there.

9. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Hmmm I thought SSN# was optional. Glad I left that state.

Hse0785 and bang2368 like this.
  10. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Transplanted to WY?

bang2368 likes this.
  11. Orange Dust

Remember, you only have to put up with this because you allow it.

DXHI, Alan lafin, Hse0785 and 2 others like this.
  12. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

You will need dna next!

skipglo likes this.
  13. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think your sales person was misinformed. I looked at the DROS and another form and I saw no mention of a SSN#. I do remember a form and the SSN# was listed, but was optional. Congrats on your retirement! I used to train officers down there many years ago. I also was born in "64" and knew some LASD down there.

14. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

When I do a transfer in Kentucky I'm required to make sure the address they fill in on the form matches their ID. But you only need a DL or Deadly Weapons Card.
    If you have both of those I don't even call the Background Check.Make copies and off you go...SSN is an option on the form but it will speed things up?

Hse0785 and Deputy819 like this.