another gun buying spree

GDKinCO

Apparently the gov checks (not really sure what to call them, as I've promised to curtail my Navy Sailor language) have stirred up another round of gun buying. Bought a receiver from @North Idaho Hunter (great, easy transaction, by the way ... thanks!) and received by my FFL on Thursday. I met him Friday to fill out the (insert another sailor word here) background check form, and he tells me that Colorado's so called Instant Check went from 15 minutes on Monday to 23 hours on Thursday.

At least I got to hold it! :) (the action, that is)

The barrel that is supposed to go on this action was reportedly shipped from a gentleman on a different forum last week and is still showing "Label Created, but not yet in the system" on USPS Tracking.

The FFL form asks "Are you a felon?" and I mentioned "well, not yet, but .gov is trying darn hard to make us all felons" ... just makes me sad, mad, sad, mad ...

Anger, but controlled, informed and directed anger, spurring us on to regaining our freedoms.

However, as scripture tells us "This world is not our home" and "Be in the world, but not of the world"
I believe it's going to get worse before it ultimately gets better.

This probably belongs in the gun politics forum. Its kind of ironic. When I bought my first handgun in TN back in 1985, I had to wait 5 to 7 days to get it. There were no waits on long guns. When the federal background check came along, it shortened it to being instant but it included both handguns and long guns. Usually, the premise behind the wait period is to make sure that you are not buying the weapon out of anger with the intention of shooting someone. Its a cooling down period as it were to allow the purchaser to come to their senses. I don't remember any kind of outrage over it back in 1985, probably because it had been in place since the 60's, I think. I have mixed feelings about it now. I would not be against a waiting period if it could be proven with empirical data that it was effective. Unfortunately, these days everything is based on politics. The left wants to ban "assault" weapons based on the politics whereas the empirical data shows that if they are banned the reduction in the number of deaths in the country by firearms would be negligible. The right doesn't want to give an inch. I can certainly understand this because when you give them an inch and it has not effect, they will want more and it will continues on ad nauseam until there are no firearms in this country. The problem with this not giving an inch attitude is that it is hurting gun owners politically and strengthens the left's argument for much stronger gun control legislation. Simply quoting the 2nd amendment or using the excuse that you need an ar15 to protect your home from intruders isn't a good enough argument. We could try intelligent use of facts and show that we too believe in reasonable gun laws by proposing things that could actually make a difference, It would actually make the left look bad. There are some things that could be done that could help without infringing on anyone's rights. For instance, make it mandatory that all law enforcement agencies including the military update the background check system. What about expanding the background checks to private sales? I would not be totally against it if you could do it without going thru an ffl and having to pay a transfer fee. In a way, its insurance. If you sell a firearm to someone that used it in a crime, it could not come back on you because you ran a background check on the person before selling it to them. These are just some of the possibilities.

Last edited:
This probably belongs in the gun politics forum. Its kind of ironic. When I bought my first handgun in TN back in 1985, I had to wait 5 to 7 days to get it. There were no waits on long guns. When the federal background check came along, it shortened it to being instant but it included both handguns and long guns. Usually, the premise behind the wait period is to make sure that you are not buying the weapon out of anger with the intention of shooting someone. Its a cooling down period as it were to allow the purchaser to come to their senses. I don't remember any kind of outrage over it back in 1985, probably because it had been in place since the 60's, I think. I have mixed feelings about it now. I would not be against a waiting period if it could be proven with empirical data that it was effective. Unfortunately, these days everything is based on politics. The left wants to ban "assault" weapons based on the politics whereas the empirical data shows that if they are banned the reduction in the number of deaths in the country by firearms would be negligible. The right doesn't want to give an inch. I can certainly understand this because when you give them an inch and it has not effect, they will want more and it will continues on ad nauseam until there are no firearms in this country. The problem with this not giving an inch attitude is that it is hurting gun owners politically and strengthens the left's argument for much stronger gun control legislation. Simply quoting the 2nd amendment or using the excuse that you need an ar15 to protect your home from intruders isn't a good enough argument. We could try intelligent use of facts and show that we too believe in reasonable gun laws by proposing things that could actually make a difference, It would actually make the left look bad. There are some things that could be done that could help without infringing on anyone's rights. For instance, make it mandatory that all law enforcement agencies including the military update the background check system. What about expanding the background checks to private sales? I would not be totally against it if you could do it without going thru an ffl and having to pay a transfer fee. In a way, its insurance. If you sell a firearm to someone that used it in a crime, it could not come back on you because you ran a background check on the person before selling it to them. These are just some of the possibilities.
That exact sort of thinking is what has gotten us every Federal gun control law since 1934. All I am going to say.

What is with the fuddery going on in this thread?

How about law enforcement agency's do their jobs? We have enough laws. Enforce the ones we currently have. Read 3 felonies a day that will change your mind about more laws...JFC...no wonder we are losing....

You mean like keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals?
How about prosecution of real criminals rather than making criminals out of law abiding citizens?
Wanna make them hurt? Demonstrate the inherent racist and classist nature of firearm legislation, prove that it is just uber-privileged congressional elites reinforcing white privilege.
Watch them back away quickly.

What is with the fuddery going on in this thread?

How about law enforcement agency's do their jobs? We have enough laws. Enforce the ones we currently have. Read 3 felonies a day that will change your mind about more laws...JFC...no wonder we are losing....
Pic related
1011D473-9277-4C76-A69A-26EB6C2A4674.jpeg

Most pro 2nd Amend. folks have educated themselves with the results of actual gun restriction/ban legislation, in areas where there is empirical evidence to review. I cannot say the same for the other side. One would think that if you are going to be a zealot about banning a certain item...guns in this case, you would at least educate yourself on the subject.
The overwhelming majority of this crowd knows absolutely nothing about firearms. And the most troubling fact is this includes the elected officials who whore themselves out to the their constituents for votes.
These people don't want to be confused by the facts. And are a prime example of being educated beyond their intellect.
Common sense is in short supply these days.

Hard to use a firearm when you can's get ammo. They make sh***y clubs. The real issue in the future will be the push for background checks on ammo and more taxes. Stay angry my friends. Stay in touch with your reps and make sure they know your 2A position.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.