Another grankid gets his Hunter Safety certificate.

Bob Wright

My fifth grandkid completed hunter safety education yesterday. We drove from extreme west Phoenix to Ajo Valley near Tucson to complete the field day exercise after a grueling 8 hour marathon the previous week studying and testing.
He's got a spring turkey hunt coming up for his first time out. Since I'm not a turkey hunter I'm going to be doing a lot of scouting looking for sign. Since he thinks I shoot every Thanksgiving turkey, that's why we're doing this hunt. I told him they are named Butterball but he hasn't figured the store had anything to do with my turkey hunting in aisle 6.🤪
I'm going to mount a red dot on a 410 break action since I have the milling machine to build a base to dovetail into it for the sight mount.
Did you ever look at the cost of TSS shotgun shells? My oh my, this will be a small fortune, but well spent. The shotgun has been used like twice, no one really cares about it and my grandson donated it to me. That usually goes the other way. So, modifications are coming.
Regardless, being in the field will be perfect time spent with Reece.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324-131047_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324-131047_Instagram.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 24
Thank you for taking the time to get him all set . Turkey is extremely addictive once you get birds to call back . The 410 will work but those shells are expensive. Have fun and good luck.
I applied for a general turkey tag and did not get drawn. I'm hoping I get the bug just hunting with him. He gets an over the counter junior tag. Lucky kid!
I hear the TSS loads even in the 410 are really great turkey guns.

The 410 shells are expensive….if you can find them. Then they are worth the cost.
They are usually seasonal in manufacturing I found out. I have 5 rounds of TSS and the other lead 410 rounds are for sighting in and practice. I think we'll at least be ready if we can get on them. That's the hardest part is 30 yards and in for this gun. This shotgun is full choke but not a TSS choke. If he likes this, me and his parents will step up to a serious turkey shotgun for next time.

They are usually seasonal in manufacturing I found out. I have 5 rounds of TSS and the other lead 410 rounds are for sighting in and practice. I think we'll at least be ready if we can get on them. That's the hardest part is 30 yards and in for this gun. This shotgun is full choke but not a TSS choke. If he likes this, me and his parents will step up to a serious turkey shotgun for next time.
Good luck and look forward to seeing some "Hero" photos. lol.

The 410 shells are expensive….if you can find them. Then they are worth the cost.
They are usually seasonal in manufacturing I found out. I have 5 rounds of TSS and the other lead 410 rounds are for sighting in and practice. I think we'll at least be ready if we can get on them. That's the hardest part is 30 yards and in for this gu. This shotgun is full choke but not a TSS choke. If he likes this, me and his parents will step up to a serious turkey shotgun for next time.
Being in Arizona and getting his hunter's saftey I'm doing another giveaway to promote youth hunting . A couple rifles and a shotgun are some of the prizes . Details are on Coues Whitetail. Com
I'm heading over to that site right now! Thanks for the tip!

My fifth grandkid completed hunter safety education yesterday. We drove from extreme west Phoenix to Ajo Valley near Tucson to complete the field day exercise after a grueling 8 hour marathon the previous week studying and testing.
He's got a spring turkey hunt coming up for his first time out. Since I'm not a turkey hunter I'm going to be doing a lot of scouting looking for sign. Since he thinks I shoot every Thanksgiving turkey, that's why we're doing this hunt. I told him they are named Butterball but he hasn't figured the store had anything to do with my turkey hunting in aisle 6.🤪
I'm going to mount a red dot on a 410 break action since I have the milling machine to build a base to dovetail into it for the sight mount.
Did you ever look at the cost of TSS shotgun shells? My oh my, this will be a small fortune, but well spent. The shotgun has been used like twice, no one really cares about it and my grandson donated it to me. That usually goes the other way. So, modifications are coming.
Regardless, being in the field will be perfect time spent with Reece.
Never too young or too old. I got mine when I was 57.
image.jpg