Ammo suggestions

Chrisvierling

I shoot a Remington 700sps chambered in .308win with a 26in barrel and a 1:12 twist rate. Any suggestions for ammo that will get me out to say 400-500 yds and is also somewhat affordable?

Go to Powder Valley and checkout their loaded ammo. They have a few affordable brands that will do the job.

try looking at black hills ammunition if your going for factory ammo. they make great reliable ammo and alot of government agencies use them as well.

I shoot a Remington 700sps chambered in .308win with a 26in barrel and a 1:12 twist rate. Any suggestions for ammo that will get me out to say 400-500 yds and is also somewhat affordable?

Really a 1:12? I'm no expert on 308 but I would double check that twist. Assuming your right, I am going to go out on a limb and say 150 grain bullets are probably going to be your sweet spot. Definitely look into the lighter bullets. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of 308 boys that will say I'm wrong very soon.

I have achieved great success with weights from 155 up to 175 in a 12 twist 308. It usually boiled down to precision and velocity combined. Sometimes the 155s perfirmed better sometimes the 175s. As a starting point I tend to lean toward the heavier weights first then move down the line if precision is not achieved.

I looked on Remington's website so I am certain it is a 1:12. Also the price range I am looking for is some where in that $20-30 a box

I knew it was a 1-12, also it is a popular model over on Sniper Hide. One other question, if you don't mind. Will this round be used for target shooting, hunting , or both?

This round would be used for target shooting mostly. I also will shoot a couple coyotes with it but am not worried about due quality.

If you start searching the mentioned places you will find loaded ammo that will meet your need for that distance. 150-180 grain area.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.