Amateur Hunter Question - SE Virginia

AccuracyAddict

At the risk of embarrassing myself, I was hoping to get some advice/guidance. If this should be in a different sections, please let me know.

How does one learn to hunt? I've spent countless hours researching methods and watching hunting videos online but still feel as though I have no idea how to begin. Let me back up a bit.

I grew up with a dad who hunted and fished year round, and I was included at times when I was younger until chasing girls became more a priority. Fast forward to 20 years later, I have a family of my own and a young son that I want to instill outdoorsman values and expose to the outdoors in a time where video games and defiance seems to be running rampant.

I have been "hunting" for the last three years after about a 20 year hiatus. The reason for the quotations is because it's a piece of land that has fixed box stands that you essentially take a number and sit in the stand and wait for a deer to come. While it allows me to put meat in the freezer, I would really like to learn how to scout, formulate and execute plans that will eventually yield a successful hunt. Not to mention we are losing access to the land after this year's hunting season. Although I will miss its convenience and proximity to my home, I see this as an opportunity to start exploring public lands or working up the courage to ask land owners to hunting access.

I do not have the disposable income that allows me to mate up with an outfitter, so my original question comes back to the forefront, how does one learn to hunt? I have a feeling that this knowledge often comes from a mentor. Health issues prevent my father from coming out with me, so finding a mentor has proven difficult for me as I am fairly introverted in meeting new people initially. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Take what you have seen from the hunting shows, tips from friends and etc. and start experimenting. Do this by getting away from those 'box stands' where you just sit in the same place all the time. You will never learn anything about deer hunting and deer habits.

I would begin searching the area you are hunting to find what deer feed on such as acorns, beans, corn and etc. Also, look for places where there could be potential bedding areas. When you hone in on a couple of these areas, place a stand there and spend time observing. If that doesn't work, try a different location.

Another useful device is a game camera when you don't have the luxury of being out on the stand as much as you would like. And, finally I believe being out in the woods as much as possible, which means you can learn a lot by adding bow hunting to your repertoire.

As you can see, the answer is real easy...experiment and more time in the woods.

Good luck!

It does not have to be land you are going to hunt. Any state land, public land, or rancher permission land will get you started. Take your binos and walk slowly with steath trough these areas and observe. Tracks, sounds, trails,animals, and birds will all give you clues. Always look for food and water sources. Keep the wind in your face and sun at your back. Practice like you were still hunting. Practice-Practice-Practice

Water, food and shelter, deer or mice they all need the same things to survive.
If you can work out the preferred source of each in a particular locations you are well on the way.

Thanks everyone for the input. That is one of the main reasons I haven't pursued public lands. I may use them for scouting in the off season just to get some experience. But come hunting time there is just no way to judge how much experience and how trigger happy some are.

I would not be afraid to hunt public land in fact I have hunted WI public land most of my hunting career. I've deer hunted 25 years now and I would say I have hunted public land 20 of those years. In my opinion the only bad and good at the same time part of hunting public is the fact you don't know who will walk past or when they will do it. It can be kinda frustrating but people moving around move deer and I have killed many many deer including some big bucks by getting myself in the right position to shoot those deer that the other guys are chasing around "most of the time they are doing it unknowingly"

As for how to hunt I would say a mentor would be best but like you say may be hard to find. Other than that I say get out in the woods as much as you can and learn from your mistakes and try to enjoy every minute of it even the mistakes they make some of the best stories over time.

Virginia is loaded with public land to hunt on. You have National Forests, Military Bases (at least you did in the 1980's when I lived there, Quantico tended to be crowded, AP Hill less so), State WMA's.

Each have their own requirements.

As far as unsafe hunter's, I guess the risk is not zero, but getting in a car wreck on the way to go hunting is probably greater.

Hell, I've known two people who died going fishing. One died by running into the side of an 18 wheeler trailer that was crossing a road in Louisiana fog, the other died of a heart attack in his boat in Louisiana.

I personally think the highest risk to deer hunters is probably falling out of a tree if you are into tree stands.

I bet Virginia's Fish and Game has figures.

I can only remember one case and If I remember correctly, it was around 2004 in Minnesota and it was a guy that was confronted for hunting on someone's private land. He shot the landowner's on purpose.

ETA: The shooter was resident in Minnesota at the time, the murder occurred in Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

Last edited:
Maybe a hunting lease. Many farmers and land owners here in Ky lease there land for hunting purposes. Also, there maybe large plots of land that are owned by companies that will allow hunting for a fee. As an example, where I'm from, there is a company called Penn Virginia. They own reclaimed mine areas. For $200 a year I have access to 6000 acres of reclaimed mine ground. I found the land by seaching through my county PVA office online maps. Most counties in the country have PVA maps that are online. Look for large blocks of land, find the owners name, call them and ask about hunting on there property.

And another hepful tip. Trail cameras on public ground is somewhat risky. You could lose your camera. To deter theft of a trail camera, I carry one section of ladder sticks for a lock on tree stand. I use them to place my camera about 10-12 feet off the ground. Then I simply use a stick behind the camera to aim it downward. It raises the camera above eye level of people walking through, and more importantly, out of reach. Unless of course they brought their ladder too.

Anyways, I hope this helps. The main thing is to get out there and do it.

Digging this discussion back up. I am moving to SE Virginia soon and would like input from people I the area. I'm going to be looking for places to hunt and any shooting/hunt clubs that allow for more than 100 yards rifle range.

As for public lands, another thing to consider is 99% of hunters access public lands via one or two roads where there's one or two parking areas. Most will be hunting within short walking distance of those parking areas. Get the Topo maps for the area and find another way in. Usually there are 100's of acres that no one hunts.

find an old geezer who's been hunting all his life. Ask to let you tag along on a scouting trip. You'll learn more from hands on experience, and the wisdom of a knowledgeable woodsman than all the posts you will read.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts