Alpen optics

Iron Worker

Just received latest edition of Varmint hunter. They have an article on Alpen optics. Is the article bias? Any one have any experience they care to share? Are they better then Simmons ? Weaver?Vortex? Swarvoski? Hubble telescope?

i got a pair of there higher end bino's for a friend and they are nice glass for the money. that was 6 years ago and he not eze on stuff and they still work like new.

did not care for them. bought them when they were first out and got mine from RW hart. maybe the're better now. i would look thru several pairs before buying. love my leica's though.

I have the Alpen 15-45 x 60 spotting scope. Bought because of the price and I couldn't get the Celestron version into NZ. I have not been able to compare it with any other brand.
It is very clear on 15 x but quality does decrease as power increases particularly past about 35x. Focussing is fussing towards the higher end. 30 cal bullet holes can be easily seen in the white at 300 yds, but very difficult to see in the black.
I am not sure if I have the version with Bak-4 or Bk7 glass.

I am happy with it, I know it is not the best quality, but I didn't pay a lot for it either.

Stu.

Just received latest edition of Varmint hunter. They have an article on Alpen optics. Is the article bias? Any one have any experience they care to share? Are they better then Simmons ? Weaver?Vortex? Swarvoski? Hubble telescope?

I bought my son a pair of Alpen Bino's about a year ago, the only reason my son hunts is to spend time with me. he looked through his Alpen's then looked through my Swarovski EL's and commented "they look the same to me".
When it comes to optic's "beauty might be in the eye of the beholder" of people that dont spend much time glassing, or you have the myopic bunch that thinks their brand of glass is the only thing on the planet.
In reality the Alpen bino's are good cheap glass for the casual hunter or bird watcher but dont even compare to the hi end stuff for the serious hunter.
UB
p.s I am sure brocksgrandpa and slydonkey will have a different opinion but this is just my opinion

Last edited:
You're wrong UncleSA**, I don't have an opinion on the Alpen optics. I only give an opinion on things I've owned or which I'm familiar with, and I've never once taken a look thru any of Alpen's optics.

Alpen has been getting a lot of love in the popular press lately. In five years of doing this I'm not sure what the fuss is about. However, I will be sure to soend some time with them at SHOT this year. Products, like people, tend to be verbs. You can't pigeon hole a companies products year after year without checking them out.

Scott

I'm down to the "Serious" part of deciding on which binos to get. I gave may 10X25 Alpen to my grandson. The 25 objective just wasn't large enough. They were great for during the day but at either end they didn't cut it.

I've compared Alpen Rainiers with every higher end bino in the store and some Nikons.

I keep going back and keep leaning toward the Rainiers.

The pluses are that the left side adjusts very well to over come the cataract and which makes both eyes equally bright. This doesn't mean the Swaros won't do the same thing, and there is a difference between the two, but "that" much of a difference???

If money were no object the Swaros would be in my pack. And may well be but$$$$$$$$

I have the 12x50 Alpens and they are good for glassing Mulies all day, I really like them, easy on the eyes. Bought a pair for my son too, he said that's why I spot all the deer. Once deer or elk are spotted, then the Swaro spotter come s out!!

Roy,

If you liked the Rainiers, i would suggest take a peek at the Kowa Genesis if you can, they are like the Rainier but with ED glass elements. For just a little more $$ For hunting, I really haven't looked through better for the money.

Here's my article: The view through the Liberty Optic

Scott

Scott,

I read the whole thing. I must really be serious.:D

I seem to be having a bit of trouble catching your drift.

Ok so at twilight there is a wow factor with the Kowas. But you also say the Doctor's are good for counting hairs on a deer's ***. Is the wow factor worth the dollars.

Here's the real use. About anything I put to my eye is good for sorting out deer/yote movement through the russian olives, etc up to 500 yards.

For LR, if there are two herds of deer one at 600 with a decent set of horns in it that are easily seen and another herd at 1100 with a small spike only in it. I want the spike! Longer shot, more glory and all that.;)

What do you recommend for binos based on those conditions as I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity getting the spotter into position.

I'd rather have a 1K spike than a 600 yd 4X unless the 4X was 28 or better. Hell, then I'd sneak away a bit. Yeah, rightgun)gun)

I understand this wasn't an ideal pairing among binos, but it's what I had in hand.

The clarity, brightness, and color rendition of the Genesis is second to none. It just failed the resolution chart test. It may have been a lemon pair, or that may be the way their spec'd. I ordered a new pair to recheck.

If you can get past the size and bulk of the Nobilems, they are amazing. The resolution is the best. So, if seeing fine details is what you need, they are the way to go.

In a field setting, I'm not sure the Genesis lack of tested resolution compared with the Docter Aus Jena is a true handicap.

Let me put it this way. In the scenario you describe the deer/yotes will jump out at you easier, due to the better color and contrast. This is especially true in low light scenarios, as the Docter are pretty damm good during the day. Once you spot something, the Docter will give you more details than the Genesis I tested.

I really like the Nobilems, especially for the money.

I'll take them out today again at the ranges you mention, and have another look.

Scott

Roy,

I just spent some more time with the Nobilems. It's a nice day today.

Man, these are really nice.

If you are serious and the size and design of the Nobilems are not a problem I'll make you a trial offer.

Scott

Scott,

I read the whole thing. I must really be serious.:D

I seem to be having a bit of trouble catching your drift.

Ok so at twilight there is a wow factor with the Kowas. But you also say the Doctor's are good for counting hairs on a deer's ***. Is the wow factor worth the dollars.

Here's the real use. About anything I put to my eye is good for sorting out deer/yote movement through the russian olives, etc up to 500 yards.

For LR, if there are two herds of deer one at 600 with a decent set of horns in it that are easily seen and another herd at 1100 with a small spike only in it. I want the spike! Longer shot, more glory and all that.;)

What do you recommend for binos based on those conditions as I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity getting the spotter into position.

I'd rather have a 1K spike than a 600 yd 4X unless the 4X was 28 or better. Hell, then I'd sneak away a bit. Yeah, rightgun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.